Ottawa Fishing Show/Expo

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa Fishing Show/Expo

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Hi everyone,

I've been quiet lately with kids and trying to convince my wife to buy a new boat, but things are looking better so stay tuned.

I had a questions I thought members here could help out with. Going back 5, 10, 15 years, I seem to recall there was once a fishing show/expo that was in town, a dedicated fishing show, not just the one in Carp and, I think, a new one that started last year. Does anyone recall such an event? Where it was hosted and that kind of fun stuff?

I have often thought about trying to organize a new fishing expo, something such as what Muskies Canada puts on with their Muskie Odyssey, but here in Ottawa and focusing on our location and the great fisheries that surround us.

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback, please feel free to share or send me a PM.

Tight lines all! Cooler weather should be coming!

MW
Harcombe9923
Participant
Participant

Re: Ottawa Fishing Show/Expo

Post by Harcombe9923 »

I do recall going to one when I was about 10 here in Ottawa, I believe it was at the Aberdeen Pavillion. I believe that it had bait shop and lure company booths (similar to comiccon) as well as boat and motor displays. As far as fun, interactive stuff, I remember there being a (Castmasters maybe?) target casting range where you tried to cast to targets and get points for prizes. Unfortunately, I was too young and not into fishing enough to be paying a ton of attention to what was there. If it's something you want to set up maybe try talking to the organizers of Ottawa Comic Con and Fan Expo about the logistics involved in setting something like that up. They use the EY Centre out by the airport which has tons of room and its proximity to the airport helps make it easy to get celebrities in and out of autograph sessions, meet and greets and seminars. Plus there is lots of parking. Sexapalooza uses the Shaw Centre which is right downtown and easy to get to but can be crowded and has very little parking. I think it would be awesome to have one of these again, especially with all the time and money I've spent in the last 2 years trying to get better and more consistent and confident in a lot of different techniques and equipment and being able to get in depth knowledge from experienced anglers and a gadget fix all in one place would be awesome. Keep us posted on your progress because the Ottawa Valley has such great fisheries and so many avid anglers living and travelling to it to experience it, it would be really cool to have a new expo around here.
If your rod ain't bending you're just pretending.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Re: Ottawa Fishing Show/Expo

Post by kevinv »

There was a lot of talk about the sportsman show from years gone by. Not to many left.