Are there fish in the Rideau?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Are there fish in the Rideau?

Post by tinboat »

Hi guys, I have a new account,but have been reading the forum for quite a while now. I used to mostly shore fish in town, but moved to the country and have a small boat now. I've been out on the Rideau between Kars-Kemptville several times this year and haven't had much luck. Previously I've caught pike fairly easily in the rideau, as well as some other species. This year I haven't had much luck at all. I've been fishing both sides of the weedline mostly in the evenings, using a variety of lures. (crankbaits, spinnerbaits, soft baits, jigs.) All to no avail, except for sunfish. Im using braided line and a 4" leader. My question is, am I fishing the wrong spots and/or using the wrong techniques? Or is the Rideau not producing much this year? Any suggestions for different lakes or rivers for a novice to fish that aren't too far out?
Thanks guys!
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Are there fish in the Rideau?

Post by River Monster »

Rideau has not been great to me this year.....actually starting to hate it there. i always found topwater worked well in the evenings. also cant go wrong with a senko.

Lots of lakes around suitable for a small boat. maybe be a bit further of a drive but well worth it, for a day of fishing. are you looking to target a specific fish or Just catch anything?
- Rick Ozga
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Perhaps instead of fishing the edges of the weeds, go into them. Texas rig a soft plastic or throw a hollow frog and fire it right back into the junk.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

You are not alone cause I got skunked often on rideau river fishing this year too but I am still going!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Lots, though I would say it's one of the tougher areas to fish. You have to get out the heavy stuff and fish in the junk. Most folks are afraid of weeds, but that's where the fish live.

RJ
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Post by tinboat »

Thanks to all for the pointers. I was out last night and this morning. Spent more time well in among the weeds and junk, and had much better luck this way. Caught a few pike and some little smallmouth. Also we used the flyrod a bit and got a crappie.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Interesting. You said a crappie hooked on your fly rod. When did you catch the crappie? In the weed and how deep? Thanks.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Fishing the weed edge like you've been doing is good sometimes, especially near deep water.
If they aren't on the edge, like Ed said, flip into the thickest / deep grass lines you can find.

And if all that fails, grab a frog and head to the back of a pocket and fish SUPER shallow. 6-8" of water.
I actually start in reverse order.. I find if they're shallow, they'll be aggressive or you might get a reaction bite out of them...

If you can find current, that's also something that produces on the Rideau

Good luck
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

This year was a strange year for the Rideau. I typically spend a lot of time on there as it is close to home but I had trouble catching bass on it all season.

What ended up working for me was the frog and another topwater mostly. The rest (and largest) came off of a wacky rig under a tree.

The biggest thing to look for as stated already is cover. It doesn't have to be thick matt but it has to be cover. Docks, trees and matts will hold them. It is up to you to figure out when and where and what to throw though.

The tree I caught my biggest of the year on, I'd hit at least 3-5 times already this year. It was also hit by another angler a few minutes before we went over. For whatever reason, what they were throwing isn't what the fish wanted.
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Post by tinboat »

seahawk wrote:Interesting. You said a crappie hooked on your fly rod. When did you catch the crappie? In the weed and how deep? Thanks.
In the weeds, but deep enough that there was clear spots inbetween where the fly could land. It was probably 3-4 feet deep, and at about 6 pm.
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

What type of leader are you using? I use straight 60lb+ braid or 20 pound sunline flouro and a Texas rigged worm or a frog (on braid). And fish the thickest stuff you can find ,
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Post by tinboat »

Jason Daoust wrote:What type of leader are you using? I use straight 60lb+ braid or 20 pound sunline flouro and a Texas rigged worm or a frog (on braid). And fish the thickest stuff you can find ,
I'll have to try that. I've been using a 9 inch nylon coated leader.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Jason's r recomendation about the leader is very good. Just learn how to tie a good uni to uni knot (lots of lubrication) and you'll be set.

In all honesty, I rarely use a leader and don't often lose lures. But that's up to you.
RonK
Participant
Participant

Post by RonK »

There's a small bay on the West side of the Rideau below Kars and north of the boat launch on the east side of the river. The entrance goes back under the little highway bridge south of Kars. Almost totally weed beds with a channel that twists through it. I've pulled bass out of there up to 6# fishing either a frog or a Moss Boss on top. Really exciting strikes! Catch and release!
tinboat
Participant
Participant

Post by tinboat »

RonK wrote:There's a small bay on the West side of the Rideau below Kars and north of the boat launch on the east side of the river. The entrance goes back under the little highway bridge south of Kars. Almost totally weed beds with a channel that twists through it. I've pulled bass out of there up to 6# fishing either a frog or a Moss Boss on top. Really exciting strikes! Catch and release!
Thanks! I've actually fished this spot briefly once in the past with no success... Will have to try again sometime. Moss Boss looks neat, I'll have to pick one of those up.