Ottawa River Rockland

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
m.bois
Participant
Participant

Ottawa River Rockland

Post by m.bois »

Hey all. I am looking for some advice on fishing the Ottawa River in and around the Rockland area. I have never fished the Ottawa before and was told by various people that the Ottawa can be tough to navigate due to the amount of under water obstacles if you are unfamiliar with the area. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the area and any potential hazards to look out for. I have also heard that the Ottawa near plantagenet can be quite spectacular as well. Im not looking for favorite fishing holes, but more general awareness of the area. Thanks in advance to all for the advice.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ottawa River Rockland

Post by BigC »

I don't think you have anything to worry about. There's a couple spots that are shallow and have a tree stump or two but they're obvious enough you should be going real slow by the time you get on top of them. One would be going into the bay right across from Rockland. Yes there's a spot you can rip right thru, but nobody would be doing that there first time. There are cribs to the left of the launch past the "marina" but you'll just lose lures not your lower end.

Plantagenet is even easier to fish.

I'm sure others will chime in but I for one wouldn't worry about it. No rock shoals, no sunken islands, no old railroad tracks.

Hardest part is seeing those new no wake buoys in the dark.
m.bois
Participant
Participant

Post by m.bois »

Thank you for the info BigC. Looking forward to fishing the Ottawa.

Tight lines.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Like BigC said nothing to bad down that way. Now above the city is a different ball game....

RJ
m.bois
Participant
Participant

Post by m.bois »

Thank you RJ.

I think i may just do a guided trip if i decide to head out above the city with the new boat. Ill stick to the east end for now till me and the Ottawa get further aquainted.