Rocky Ramp Construction Begins at Hearts Desire

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Rocky Ramp Construction Begins at Hearts Desire

Post by zippyfx »

I have not fished this area in the past couple of years due to the amount of poison Ivy and wild parsnip but sounds like I may have to take a walk sometime soon:
After years of community consultation and long-standing safety concerns, the RVCA is decommissioning the Hearts Desire Weir and beginning work on a new rocky ramp. Work will begin on the project starting October 30 — weather permitting.
https://www.rvca.ca/media-releases/inno ... rts-desire
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Re: Rocky Ramp Construction Begins at Hearts Desire

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

That will be a spot to check out in the future for sure.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

At first I thought you were just talking about a rock/gravel boat ramp lol. I'd never heard of one of these type "dams" before. Seems like a great idea a first glance. More economical and environmentally and fish friendly. Easier maintenance. Sounds easy enough, just dump in some strategically place boulders/rock/stone and bobs your uncle. Yea right. Try planning for seasonal fluctuations, flood cycles, changing weather patterns...
So of course I did a google search. Rocky Ramps only got the local stories, not much else. Then I changed the search to "rock ramps" and this one showed up on the first page from Colorado State University. Basically US government guidelines from 2007. 100 page pdf. It's very comprehensive so the research has already been done. Interesting read. Hopefully they get it right on the Jock. I think I recall someone here mentioning about heavy silt deposits upstream of the weir, so they'll have to consider that in their plans on how it could affect the rock dam and the river below. It would be neat if they made a video record of the construction process too.
https://www.engr.colostate.edu/~pierre/ ... elines.pdf

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Here's a video example of the construction of a rocky ramp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZnERMczHTw
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Caught the first Muskie of my life in that area. Nice to see some forward thinking.

RJ