Top Posters this month

Main Menu

Statistics

Total posts 339535
Total topics 40130
Total members 7593
Our newest member harley

Advice For Zone 15 (next season)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
  • Supported By...

Advice For Zone 15 (next season)

Postby Aquaticdude » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:34 pm

G, day eh.

So after fishing zone 17 in the Kawarthas for a bit over a year nearly every single day both on shore and boat and every kind of bait and lure imaginable.
I haven't caught much this season or last. With the exception of stocked trout ponds. Which is sad.

I've decided that it just isn't worth the time or money to fish zone 17. The fisheries are pretty well destroyed.
I even did NSCI netting at fish camp (Fleming college F&W) and the catches were so low it was sad.

I thought about just not renewing my licence when it expires in December but I decided to just switch zones and take er' back north where the fish are.

So anyway, I'm thinking of fishing a bit more north in zone 15 next season. Kashagawigamog Lake is one lake I am thinking of checking out.

Is anybody familiar with Kashagawigamog Lake or zone 15 ? Any advice, tips etc ? Would be greatly appreciated.

I'll mostly be going after pike, bass, lake trout, brook trout and rainbows maybe. Maybe walleye. Wouldn't mind some channel cat and possibly gar if I can find them.

Thx.
Aquaticdude
Participant
Participant

Re: Advice For Zone 15 (next season)

Postby BigC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 am

I know the lake has muskies...

Listed on Outdoors Canada as a destination lake for muskies, imo any lake listed anywhere online as a destination lake shouldn't be on the top of your list.

You sound as if you want that private back country lake experience that's full of fish that will bite on cigarette butts. Sadly those lakes are few and far between these days, put in the time and you'll find your spot. Oh and when you do, don't tell anyone.

You certainly have your choice of some very good water. Takes years to learn some water, if it was easy everyone would do it.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Postby Aquaticdude » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:17 am

BigC wrote:I know the lake has muskies...

Listed on Outdoors Canada as a destination lake for muskies, imo any lake listed anywhere online as a destination lake shouldn't be on the top of your list.

You sound as if you want that private back country lake experience that's full of fish that will bite on cigarette butts. Sadly those lakes are few and far between these days, put in the time and you'll find your spot. Oh and when you do, don't tell anyone.

You certainly have your choice of some very good water. Takes years to learn some water, if it was easy everyone would do it.

Not interested in muskies any more. There just not the worth the effort in the Kawarthas. I would rather catch 20 pike a day like back home rather than 1 muskie a year.

I agree that destination lakes are crap locations but finding more secluded places is almost impossible. That is what i'm going to research this winter. Try and find some good back woods lakes. With boat access.

Really, I would just be happy to catch 1 nice fish a month. A good fight that's all I want.
Cripes, I haven't even found any crappie here in the Kawarthas.
Aquaticdude
Participant
Participant

Postby EG3 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:29 am

The Kawarthas were on fire this year Lots of pickerel and too many Muskies lol I do believe it was due to all the flooding /below normal temps May/Jun - there's a lot more walleye in the Kawarthas then Lake Kashawigamog..
EG3
Participant
Participant

Postby RJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 pm

With all due respect you've got to be doing something drastically wrong. The Kawarthas are polluted with Musky and Crappie. I suggest you book a guide for a day to give you a run down of the area. May be the best money you ever spent.

Going up into the back lakes in search of the holy grail....if you think the fishing in the are you are fishing now sucks...just wait.

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fishing Talk