Shirleys Hardwater Decline

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirleys Hardwater Decline

Post by 613wetline »

lol the boulders... is there any safe ice at shirleys yet?
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

On Dec. 23rd I stopped by Shirley's to have a peak. Small ice hut village forming. All pop ups from what I could tell. Looked like about 8 or 10 groups out there. No vehicles of course. But soon.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

8 inches... I'll be driving my hut out soon....
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

Thanks everyone! I travel there by bus and foot so this really saves me a day of BS if there wasnt safe ice!
hope the wallies are biting! goodluck everyone, stay alert stay safe!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

613wetline wrote:Thanks everyone! I travel there by bus and foot so this really saves me a day of BS if there wasnt safe ice!
hope the wallies are biting! goodluck everyone, stay alert stay safe!
By Bus! Just Rifle rd is well over a mile long, let alone the walk out on the ice. Then you have to make that long tour back and wait for a later bus, specially with the evening bite. Kudos to you if you're willing to do that carrying all your gear. I'd be sticking my thumb out for sure. Good luck man.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thanks for the ice update! We are in the process of building a new hut. Should be done by the end of the week.

@Smitty: " Hopefully this snow doesn't wreck conditions too much, folks can get their shacks out, and the ramp doesn't get too bad. Speaking of which, Tim did you ever hear any more from the NCC on moving a few of those boulders?"

Upon sending a follow up email, I was assured the the email I sent them had been forwarded to the correct people...... (Who work for tax payers money and have zero public accountability... But I digress!) No response...........

Thanks for the reminder - I'll send them another one...... See you on the ice - be safe,
CCLad.
Last edited by CCLad on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
gsoxley
Participant
Participant

Post by gsoxley »

Any update on Shirley’s Bay ice thickness?
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

thanks smitty55, its a pain for sure. lol only did it once and had a friend meeting me so i only trecked there.
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

just took a drive to the bay and saw a couple of portables out there. Didn't walk out to talk to the guy's several hundred yards out i figure.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Guys are driving out there now. Brave ones... :lol:

RJ
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I realize its off topic for this thread but most interested in S.B. will get the info...

I just received a phone call from the land manager for Shirley's Bay regarding an email I sent to them (a long while back, I sent a follow up email yesterday - Thanks for the reminder Skarkner :) regarding vehicle access to the river - i.e. the boulders and 1 way on and off...

The lady was very receptive to my idea's of moving a couple of the boulders at the top end of the launch which would allow access for vehicles to both the east and west side of the launch should the main point become impassible.... We will be meeting there in a couple weeks to go over my suggestion's. Will keep you posted!

Tim.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Keep at them Tim. I should have reminded you earlier in the fall but if they can do anything it will be a big help. It wont take them long to move a few boulders with the right equipment. Plus if you can somehow bring a safety aspect into the situation it could help your cause. Good luck.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have some good traction on the municipal and provincial government side too through the local councillor, going to link up with Tim and combine our efforts on this one...
EvoBay
Participant
Participant

Post by EvoBay »

Just wanted to thank the Honda Civic and the Ford Ranger for the show at SB yesterday...

It all started with a foot of loose packed snow on the launch, a bunch of bad snow drifts, and a warning from buddies on the ice: "Park and walk-on!"

Apparently, this guy didn't get the memo... the Civic driver got up to speed and challenged the launch onto the ice; and made it first shot! This Honda obviously preferred going sideways once on the ice... interpreting its own version on black swan.

To our delight, the show got even better when the Civic driver attempted to get off the ice. I say attempted, because the snow at the launch swallowed it whole!
It took a contingent of fisher-people and their trucks to get him through the thick layer of snow guarding access.

Later in the day we witnessed a Ford Ranger get stuck in a huge snow drift, but their 3 friends were there to push him back to safety.

I cant say much about the fishing, but it was a great show at the SB launch :)
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Same comedy of errors repeated there every year...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"