Shirleys Bay Ramp - Jan 13 2018

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Shirleys Bay Ramp - Jan 13 2018

Post by scarkner »

Ramp looks good, but is not safe. It will not even hold a person right now as there is thick snow covering it.

If on foot, walk along the edges by the boulders.

Do not try to get on the ice with a vehicle - which is too bad because once you are on the ice it is awesome. Strong, thick, black. Clear enough in places to see the bottom.

Just give it a couple days for the ramp to harden up please...
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirleys Bay Ramp - Jan 13 2018

Post by CCLad »

Hey Skarkner, thx for coming down for the meeting this morning. With that said, it looks as if the NCC will be moving a few of the boulders from both the east and west side of the launch, providing 3 different access points to the river! I also just wanted to through out a big THANK YOU too Isabelle from the NCC. This has been an going exchange with the NCC for several years. I never had any correspondence in the past with Isabelle so I assume she is relatively new to the position of managing the Shirley's bay property. Within 2 weeks of speaking with her, it now appears the situation is going to be resolved! On behalf of many other people - Thanks Isabelle!!!!

On a side note, we hope to have our hut done this week. Hope to get out there next weekend!
CCLad.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote:Hey Skarkner, thx for coming down for the meeting this morning. With that said, it looks as if the NCC will be moving a few of the boulders from both the east and west side of the launch, providing 3 different access points to the river! I also just wanted to through out a big THANK YOU too Isabelle from the NCC. This has been an going exchange with the NCC for several years. I never had any correspondence in the past with Isabelle so I assume she is relatively new to the position of managing the Shirley's bay property. Within 2 weeks of speaking with her, it now appears the situation is going to be resolved! On behalf of many other people - Thanks Isabelle!!!!

On a side note, we hope to have our hut done this week. Hope to get out there next weekend!
CCLad.
Thanks is also due to the Bay Ward councillor, apparently he and the city office were putting pressure on the NCC too (according to Isabelle).
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Definitely due then! I'm going to be happy once its done. It will make navigating on and off the river soooo much better.
Tim.

PS How much ice are you on where your hut is?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote:Definitely due then! I'm going to be happy once its done. It will make navigating on and off the river soooo much better.
Tim.

PS How much ice are you on where your hut is?
Isabelle stayed about 20 minutes after you left, took pictures, etc.

There is 16 inches of rock-solid black ice where my trailer is.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Perfeect, thx Skark's! Hope to get out there this weekend.
CCLad!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Way to go guys. Nice to see there's still some common sense out there.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

That's great news guy's a big thank you to CC Lad and Scarkner for gettin this done. And Isabelle as well at least we now have alternate access to relieve pressure from the main access point.

Excellent news guy's Thanks a Bunch!!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Good work gents! Nice when you can fight the burorcracy and get results... And the NCC ain't famous for being easy to work with. I'm surprised no hippies complained about the sensitive grasses we may destroy there now because of the boulders being moved lol.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Fishoholic wrote:Good work gents! Nice when you can fight the burorcracy and get results... And the NCC ain't famous for being easy to work with. I'm surprised no hippies complained about the sensitive grasses we may destroy there now because of the boulders being moved lol.
Actually they (NCC) did bring that up. Thankfully google earth clearly displayed the slate rock that makes up the shoreline at the bay.

On a side note, Isabelle did say that it would probably be a couple weeks to get the PO through the system and tendered to a contractor....
CCLad
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

So in other words no go for this year. Maybe next year.

Thanks For the update!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

emeraldpirate wrote:So in other words no go for this year. Maybe next year.

Thanks For the update!
Um... no... a couple weeks means a couple weeks. I was really surprised (and still skeptical) but the indication was that they would try to get this done soon as we emphasized that the major ramp issues tend to occur during the late ice.
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Hope fully sooner than later!

Was on the ice last night the ramp is in excellent condition now with a solid 18" of ice. Some guys were way out almost to the channel. So that's a good sign. 1 walleye 1 perch 1 Ling all on a silver Mr.Champ tipped with a minnow head/tail.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Word on the street ... or in this case - Ramp, is that the boulders are to be moved by the end of this week or early next week at the latest.

Of course the access point is in good shape presently but as we know, that can change quick enough. On that note, this season has had the best ice fishing conditions that I can remember for many of year!