Hard water Trout in the Calabogie area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
matto25
Participant
Participant

Hard water Trout in the Calabogie area

Post by matto25 »

Hey guys,

First off I'm a hardcore Walleye fisherman who's trying to get himself out in the winter despite how much i hate the cold and some serious pressure from my kids :P I've fished Shiner three times this summer and managed to get a couple of rainbows. I've tried Shiner and Marble on the ice as well and came up with nothing so far on the ice. Not being a huge expert on trout or what lakes to target I guess i'm looking for some suggestions of what lakes to try / what time of day ect that will produce some fish for the kids or most likely hehe.. They're 9 and 11 so not too little and able to trek along and even help theold man pull the sleigh :P

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated if you fish that area and could help point me in the right direction!

Thx!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Hard water Trout in the Calabogie area

Post by Fishoholic »

Do you have a quad or snowmobile?

All of the trout lakes up that way that are close to the road are easy to get to but the fishing is not the greatest.

A couple other lakes up that way that are near the road are st.pierre (specks and real close to road) and limestone (rainbows and a couple kms to walk into).

All the ones I've ever caught out of st.pierre were small.

Limestone has some real nice rainbows but it's hit or miss. Been skunked there a lot but also got my first ever trout out of there, a 2 pounder through the ice on a 1 inch gulp. I've had more luck there in the summer. There's also some nice perch in there. For summer fishing there is bass too.

If you have a quad or snowmobile there are a ton of lakes. Or if you have a 4x4 truck there are a few other ones you might be able to get close to depending on snow depth.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

sshhhh. lol jk
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Lol
matto25
Participant
Participant

Post by matto25 »

Fishoholic wrote:Do you have a quad or snowmobile?

All of the trout lakes up that way that are close to the road are easy to get to but the fishing is not the greatest.

A couple other lakes up that way that are near the road are st.pierre (specks and real close to road) and limestone (rainbows and a couple kms to walk into).

All the ones I've ever caught out of st.pierre were small.

Limestone has some real nice rainbows but it's hit or miss. Been skunked there a lot but also got my first ever trout out of there, a 2 pounder through the ice on a 1 inch gulp. I've had more luck there in the summer. There's also some nice perch in there. For summer fishing there is bass too.

If you have a quad or snowmobile there are a ton of lakes. Or if you have a 4x4 truck there are a few other ones you might be able to get close to depending on snow depth.

Thanks for the reply.. I was looking at St. Pierre, where can you park in the Winter and where do you go in? Off St. Pierre Lake road?

I'm also not adverse to walking a few kms to a lake so I'd be willing to try almost anything..
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Post by andrew1234 »

Park on calabogie road. I wpuld inagine its no more than a ten minute walk from the road. You can see it quite clearly from the road in the spring when the trees are bare.

Andrew
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

I parked at the start of st.pierre road off to the side. There is a clearing with a marshy pond before the lake and I went in that way. There is a stream in the middle though and the ice wasn't completely frozen there so just be careful of that.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

ive noticed usually people try to send all this sort of info private becouse it actually leads to overfishing of the lakes mentioned. i often see people will post the ministry website and afew hints on where to go and, then keep the lake names in pm's. If you guys could delete some of the info eventually that would be much appreciated.
last year i was seeing schools of 10+ small bows at st.pierre and now most ive seen at once is 2-3.
ill send u a pm with some info, hope it helps. stay safe out there & goodluck to everyone!
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

613wetline wrote:ive noticed usually people try to send all this sort of info private becouse it actually leads to overfishing of the lakes mentioned. i often see people will post the ministry website and afew hints on where to go and, then keep the lake names in pm's. If you guys could delete some of the info eventually that would be much appreciated.

First off I want to thank the ones that did post lake names of where to find fish. It may draw attention because there are so few good Trout Lakes and rivers, but they did not give out their spot. No real need to PM a location. This is all part of helping new anglers find a type of fish.

It is just like when I was learning the Ottawa Valley area and Algonquin region. If it were not for the old fisherman neighbor, the Indian guide, or the American Cottager for sharing a few tips and area names. They each had their spot that they kept secret, but would drop lake and area names, and how to get there.