Boat batteries?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
darkelf
Participant
Participant

Boat batteries?

Post by darkelf »

hey guys! Long time member....seldom chat, but always enjoy the forums!

Question: what does everyone else use as far as boat batteries???

so heres the story, and my throughts....

So i bought a new boat last year (princecraft Nanook), great experience! love the boat!!!

however, i seem to have a power problem when it comes to my starting or cranking battery. as most do, i have everything except the trolling motor wired to my starting battery.
quick run down:
merc 90 hp requires 1000ca and 800cca
helix 9 with gps, blue tooth to my trolling motor
radio
lights
etc....

starting battery has 1000ca and 800cca.....exactly what is required.

sooooo, if i leave the fish finder on while pounding shorelines for bass....or whatever, using the trolling motor, i get about 2 hrs and the low voltage warning sounds on the fish finder, (i have it set at 12v....which is what is required to start the motor by the specs.)
so why is that???? i've fished with lots of guys, in lots of different boats, and no one ever seems to have a problem?????
some guys run 2 fish finders, the radio, lights after dark, trim the motor a few times....all day and never have a problem starting there boat, and never seem concerned about it????

so i've done my homework, and i'm going to assume, its the cheap, or lower - end battery from the dealer thats the problem, simply because, it JUST meets the requirements to start the motor, and its not meant for the long draw the other electronics are putting on it.
so before i run out in the spring and buy a new battery, i thought i'd ask the experts???

What do you guys use in your boats as far as batteries???? i'm leaning towards the duel mode (cranking/deep cycle) optima Blue Top D31M group 31 with 1125 ca, 900cca 75ha.
Your thoughts please???
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Boat batteries?

Post by toobinator »

Darkelf: It may not be the battery at all. In my Nitro I was forever getting low voltage warnings, but had lots of juice to spin the motor. The problem was too much of a voltage drop due to the small wire they used to fed the dash. I rewired the electronics direct to the battery and the problem was solved.

I also have my cranking battery wired into my charger. Oftentimes when fishing a full day I haven't run the motor enough to top up the battery after having my electronics on all day. After 2 or 3 trips I can run into low voltage issues.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

Hey Ed, what gauge of wire did you run, I've been considering doing that to my boat before the spring
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I cheaped out and just used some lamp cord I had. I got away with it but should have used some shielded wire to avoid interference. Not sure of the gauge though. something the size of lamp cord or a little larger should do though.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

You definitely have a problem.

Your battery should last more that two hours. Even a crap battery, if it's working properly, should do better that your describing.

I'm guessing that you may have one of two possible problems. First one is possibly your battery isn't fully charged when you go out. If your charging your battery before you go put, then that's not likely.

The other might parasitic draw. That's your battery draining off to an unknown ground. If you don't constantly charge your batteries then that's not it. Parasitic draw is constant, even with everything turned off. If your not constantly charging your batteries, parasitic draw would kill your battery before you go out. It would kill your battery to the point you wouldn't be able to charge it.

If you charge your batteries constantly, then it could be parasitic draw.

Parasitic draw can come from a poorly made connection, even on a new boat. Parasitic draw can drain a battery pretty quickly even with everything turned off. There's info on-line on how to find that problem. It's not simple and requires some work.

I use Magnacharge batteries with good luck. These guy's are very knowledgeable and have good warranties. They will also service your batteries as required. I use a group 31 deep cycle for my trolling motor and a group 27 dual starter/deep cycle for my starter/electronics. Never ran short of power.

Once you figure out if and where your losing your power, here's something else you might be interested in.

I've used a Blue Sea Automatic Charging Relay(ACR) for years. If your not familiar with an ACR, here's a brief run down.

An ACR connects your batteries to charge them and automatically disconnects them so the don't drain your starter battery.

Your trolling motor and staring batteries are wire together. You charge both your batteries when you charge either one of your batteries. This works with a charger or your boat motor. When your boat motor is running it charges both of your batteries at the same time.

If your interested Blue Sea has a great website with lots of information.

They're fairly easy to wire and not too expensive. I bought mine through Marine Outfitters in Kingston. They sell on-line.

Hope this helps.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I’ll start by saying you need a bigger battery. That doesn’t mean the one you have is junk, it is just too small for even a full day of fishing and I would be concerned that it may leave you stranded.

With that out if the way, can you provide the other specs of this battery?
Group size (24, 27, 29, 31, 34)

What is the rated reserve capacity of the battery (RC)? Depending on the manufacturer it may be calculated as something else.
Basically, there is more information on the battery and that info will help you and any of us with diagnosing the problem.

Not as important but Brand of battery?

If your only issue right now is that you are getting alarms after two hours, that isn’t terrible. This has happened to me in the past when I was running both units at the same time.

If you’re having other issues like your motor turning slowly over after two hours or the units themselves shut off when you start the main motor, you are really drawing too much power.

Ed is right that voltage drop could be an issue. Sounds like he used 18-22guage wire to run his direct and it worked for him. If you plan on running direct, I would suggest trying to use some 14 gauge as there will be less of a drop in voltage.
Last edited by lape0019 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkelf
Participant
Participant

Post by darkelf »

Thanks for the advise guys....gives me a few other things to check before i put it back in the water in the spring!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great info guys. You guys rock!

RJ