Set-up for Walleyes

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
TheHill819
Participant
Participant

Set-up for Walleyes

Post by TheHill819 »

Fellow fishermen,

Out for some eyes on the river today and go to thinking... what are other people using for set-ups with dead minnows for goldens?

Im using a three way swivel with floating jig, personally. Anyone else have any other tips or tricks to put them on the ice?

Cheers.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Set-up for Walleyes

Post by smitty55 »

On my set lines I use a two way spreader with the hooks removed and replaced with with snells and fished within a few inches of bottom. That way if one minnow gets stolen you still have another one there instead of pulling your line up to check or replace the missing one. It's made a difference countless times. Plus if I'm running short of live minnows I'll use one live and one dead.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

If I am fishing in water shallower than 15ft I usually have two holes inside my flipup. One i jig, the other I setup a deadstick. The deadstick setup is a drop shot setup. For the bottom weight I use a jig with a nose hooked minnow and set it right on bottom then a hook and minnow about 6" up. If I setup in deeper water I usually have s tipdown outside with hook and minnow.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
TheHill819
Participant
Participant

Post by TheHill819 »

Thanks for the input folks. I'm going to re-rig some of the tipups with your recommendations and see how it works for me. I really like your set-up Walleyboss - it's like a one, two punch.

Tight lines everyone.