Few quick questions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Few quick questions

Post by kevinv »

Hello all:

I have fished many types of fish, and in many different areas. My current setup is old, but has done me well. I am looking to upgrading my rod if I can this year.

First question. I have a spincast setup. What is the best/ smallest rod length I should be looking at. I was always told a 5.5 to 6ft rod as a general goto. Medium action. Been doing research as of late, and have been told at least a 7ft medium action should be what I need. Before you ask, I target bass, perch, panfish, and pickerel. I am a shore based right now, and travel by car a lot. So what minimum length of rod should I look at?

When I was younger, one of the guys I would fish with, would pre tie fishing rigs. I always tie them as I need. Does anyone else pre tie rigs? My problem is storing them after. How do you do it?

Thanks
Kevin
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Re: Few quick questions

Post by Moobe »

I think you would be really happy with 7ft to start. If you go for a quality stick (within your budget of course) you on the right road. As for advice on what rod to use there are a lot of really smart guys out there...some might even own a store in Winchester!...(TOOBINATOR/Paddletales) My humble advice is find one that feels good TO YOU! The fanboys that slams one make and vibrate over another are good for comic value... but a guy that really knows his stuff will be able to tell you the good and bad on all makes (they all have good and bad it's just a fact)

As for pre-rigging - i do it but I have them on my boat deck its just the fastest way to do it and allows for quick tactic changes. it's harder when you are packing it all in a car and hoofing it to your spot. when I shore fish especially if its not a light rig i like to use the FASTACH swivel it's so fast its secure and low profile. A guide i went out with last summer showed them to me - once he figured out what they were eating he tied that bait on directly to the leader for a better action.

I do really feel strongly that the advice from Ed at Paddletales is far and away better than big stores like Cabelas or Sail...sure they might have a few subject matter experts on staff but I guarantee they have more kids without a clue just making a quick buck...or 14 bucks in Ontarios case lol

Ben
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I agree if you fish from shore a 7ft rod should be great unless you bushwack or fish were there is a lot of cover.

Based on what you fish for I would recommend a light or medium light rod.

Depending on what I am targeting I have pre-tide rigs as well. Especially if you do not waste your time on the bank on short outings.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Moobe.

Feb 22 to 25 would be a good time to come out to go rod shopping. I'll have sales reps from some of the different companies on hand, rods on sale, and fried chicken to munch on while you consider your choices.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Hey Kevin: I cannot second enough why Ed's "Paddletales" the BEST option to get you into a new set up. Especially for the date's he has posted. The service is outstanding, he, and all the gang that will be there, can help you with anything to get into a new set up for your fishing needs!

F.F
EvoBay
Participant
Participant

Post by EvoBay »

For shore fishing, I usually have at least 2 rods with me and set them up ahead of time.
1- topwater rig - long rod, medium/light (to muscle bass over weeds), no leader
2- crankbait setup - longish rod, lighter action than the other (for more progressive bait action) and a leader for pickerel

So for your new outfit, find something different than what you have or are used to, you'll become more versatile thanks to it.

I suggest a 2 piece for storage and ease of travel if a one-piece won't fit in your car and you want to bushwhack... A good case is always a worth while investment and you'll find it easy to carry 2 or 3 set-up rods out to your spot without snagging or damaging your gear; I've broken a rod tip trying to bushwhack to a spot in a heavy forest.

Happy shopping
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

Ed,

Feb 22 is blocked off. See you guys there.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

Thanks all for the advice.

Hope to be able to head up to Paddletails to talk to the reps. Heard a lot about this place.

Kevin