Ice Warning for Bath/Lake Ontario

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ice Warning for Bath/Lake Ontario

Post by RJ »

Heads up fellas. Was down fishing in the area yesterday and some guys got stuck out there. The wind blew the pressure crack open leaving these guys stranded on the other side of the 25 foot now open stretch. There was no option but to call in the fire dept to get them off.

I know some guys have been fishing the area so it's kinda done at this point, especially with no cold nights.

RJ
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ice Warning for Bath/Lake Ontario

Post by riverdog »

Glad everyone got off the ice safely! I need them set up the fireman are wearing! It's time to head to them small back lakes.
Be safe all!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

....a most expensive adventure. :cry: Glad they got off ok.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Gord wrote:....a most expensive adventure. :cry: Glad they got off ok.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What do you mean expensive? I don't think there's a charge for a rescue. Least where I live FD don't charge for services.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

I am not sure about all departments, but don't know if any charge , but the Tax payers pay for the service in salaries when they are called on.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

riverdog wrote:What do you mean expensive? I don't think there's a charge for a rescue. Least where I live FD don't charge for services.
It is my understanding that charges are at the discretion of the FD. (Check with Rob B ;))

Typically if someone causes a fire due to negligence, or a rescue because they were a bonehead or if they pull attitude, then there is likely to be a charge per firefighter who shows, and for each truck.

Intention is not to make money, but rather, punitive to encourage people not to take chances that tie up the resources. In this particular case, I doubt there would be a charge, as the ice is plenty thick there, the root cause is the tug/barges using the North Channel this winter, leaving an open channel in the middle, which allowed the ice to drift south.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

There was no charge.

RJ
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

glad everyone was fine! love that area, got a couple pb's out of there.