Florida Flats/Keys fishing adventure (pic heavy)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
spyman48
Participant
Participant

Florida Flats/Keys fishing adventure (pic heavy)

Post by spyman48 »

Just got home from a Florida yak fishing adventure that started off with 5 nights in New Port Richy, followed by 4 nights in The Keys on Lower Matecumbe Key and finished with 2 breezy days in Edgewater fishing the famous Mosquito Lagoon. I caught a bunch of different fish, but my highlight would have to be the 4 sharks that I caught in the Keys. They were all smaller(4 to 5 ft) except the one that got away. There are bigger ones that I will target the next visit to the Florida Keys with upgraded equipment. I have shark fever :D
Image Gag Grouper
Image Lady Fish that I caught in New Port Richy and brought to The Keys and caught all of my shark with
ImageNew PB Trout 22in
ImageImageImageDidn't manage any big Reds, but got a few.
ImageImageBlue Runner and a Lizard fish
ImageImageManatee came right up to us, was bumping the back of my kayak and pushing me along.
ImageImageBrian showed me up In New Port Richy and Mosquito Lagoon. At least he let me use his secret florida rig to try and catch up to him.
ImageCircle hooks were Awesome for sharks, everyone except the one that bit through my metal leader was hooked in side of mouth.
ImageImage
ImageImage My Fall Walleye/Salmon/ Musky trolling set up is now my shark setup.
ImageMy first Tarpon. Not quite the size I thought my first would be :)
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Re: Florida Flats/Keys fishing adventure (pic heavy)

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Outstanding! I'll have to try using a kayak for fishing the next time I visit Sanibel.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Very neat. Good pics, thanks for sharing.

CHeers
Smitty

Straight shooter
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Awesome multi-species report!!

Love the shark and the lizard fish.

I love circle hooks as well. I use them almost exclusively. Use them regularly when targeting and soft mouthed species. Just got to remember to set not set the hook aggressively.

The were easy to find local a couple of years ago but they seem to be scarce this year.