Lake Trout

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
sw15
Participant
Participant

Lake Trout

Post by sw15 »

Hi.

New to the forum

I just got myself a used fishing boat 14ft-25Hp with trolling motor, fish finder and downrigger. I plan on using boat mainly for going wherever and trying to catch whatever. But I would like to try and catch some Lake trout at some point this year.

I was looking for some help/ideas as to which lakes are my best options for catching lake trout and what time of year is best spring, summer, or fall. Something within 1-2 hours of Ottawa. Also from reading online I would probably use the downrigger for this so any suggestions on lures etc. would be appreciated.

Any help specific or general would appreciated as I am new to Lake Trout and downriggers. Feel free to PM if that's how you would like to respond

Thanks for your time
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lake Trout

Post by BigC »

Welcome to the board sw.

I'm by no means a down rigging expert, I actually prefer long lining lead-core or jigging (with RJ). I believe the key to getting started with Lakers is to keep it simple, in the spring and early summer I don't think you'd even need downriggers (someone may argue differently) but last couple years we've done real well with only 4 or 5 colors of lead core out 30 ft mono leader and a combo of spoons and stick baits occasionally tipped with a minnow tail in 30 - 40 feet. That's after 5 years of trying just about everything but the kitchen sink.

Couple other things that may help you is you can't go slow enough and you want to be right on the bottom, when you let line out by hand you should be able to feel the difference when your lure passes below the thermocline it will feel slightly heavier, that's the zone. The lakes I fish aren't very big so I found I'd much rather have the rod in my hand pumping it trying to induce a strike than fiddle with the downrigger ball seemingly all the time. With trying to be on the bottom snags are going to happen, I prefer breaking off the 30# mono over a ball and wire. If you have one of those fancy adjusts on the fly ones then won't be a problem.

Just my 2 cents, very curious to see what others say.

Also watch the regs. some lakes are always open, some have regular seasons and some have short seasons depending on where you go within a 2 hour drive.

Only about 48 days away in my area now. April 27th!!
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Panfisher »

BigC,

Lake Trout is one of those fish that I have yet to catch. Good luck!

On thing I have heard is that they come up in the shallows as the ice melts. If the water temperature is below 12C (52F) you might find Lake Trout.

So I have been told.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Go to Charleston Lake after the opening May 26, run your riggers anywhere from 20-40ft down close to structure near deeper water and you should do fine. There is no thermocline set up yet at that time of the year. If you do a search here you should find some maps I posted. It's a beautiful lake with tons of structure and islands that allow you to get out of the wind if need be. Good luck

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Try Big Rideau Lake near Portland .Great area for Lakers.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
sw15
Participant
Participant

Post by sw15 »

Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to try Big Rideau or Charleston at the start of the season
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Muskrat Lake is a great spot, and one you can hit once the ice is out. From early April into the middle of May, I have had luck flatlining Berkley Flicker Shads (white) around 1.5 to 1.7MPH....As the water warms, down riggers are great.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Good suggestions.

I fish Big Rideau and while spring is good, mid-summer heat is my fav, slow troll, music, feet up steering the boat from the passenger seat watching the fish finder and downrigger rod for hits.... best relaxing days ever. Fish from the narrows westward ... Some good spots around the islands in the middle too but watch for change in depth.

And the fishing is good, the fish get concentrated in a band above the thermocline, not too hot, not too oxygen deprived... so if you find the band, you catch fish. If you don't, enjoy the boat ride.

I use silver flutter spoons - Sutton is good but others.. Sometimes behind a gang-troll (smaller ones -24 inch) so I can also troll a treble hooked salted minnow if I decide to swap them out .

Some good lakers in Algonquin and area (slightly out of your 1-2 hr drive and not all motor boat allowed) and some great lakes in Quebec...

good luck