MILLE LACS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

MILLE LACS

Post by Still Chasing »

Just heard that Mille Lacs will be a walleye catch and release fishery this year. Makes one wonder why we haven't done the same to bring back the walleye fishing on the Rideau System. I caught a small muskie on a small stretch of the Rideau River 2 years ago and a home owner was thrilled . They said they haven't heard of any caught on that stretch for a long time. :?: :?: :?:
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: MILLE LACS

Post by lape0019 »

Judging by the ones I incedentally caught last year on the Rideau and the ones I’ve seen in the past few years, I don’t think there is any sort of shortage of walleye in that river.
Last edited by lape0019 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

lape0019 wrote:Judging by the ones I incedentally caught last year on the Rideau and the ones I’ve seen in the passed few years, I don’t think there is any sort of shortage of walleye in that river.
X2 !
I've caught a few while fishing for Bass on the Rideau.
On another occasion I was in the boat when Adam caught some ^ Again.. He was targeting Bass. He caught nice ones that we could have kept legally, but we released them.

I know of an angler who caught giants a 6lber and a 9lber .. AGAIN fishing for Bass... On the Rideau River with pictures to prove.

Maybe people need to join a fishing club and refine their technique.. Walleye club is a good place, or sit in at a seminar and try a new technique..

Someone on here a year ago was complaining about not catching Walleye on Lake Saint Marie (IN QC) How he just couldn't get a bite.. How there was no fish left!
It's the Lake's fault.. :lol:
I've caught many... Even ran into a school on a point.. All while targeting Bass with crankbaits.. Or dropshotting in 30ft of water..

I kept 1 :shock:
Not to worry, it was legal and delicious. :D

Still too many breaking the rules!
Wish there were more officers out, checking boats on the water or at the ramps.
I still hear stories about people filling their freezers, keeping everything they catch..

I don't think twice, if you break the law I report it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I've also got two nice Muskies caught during a Bass tournament, Matching skies, 10 minutes apart
Great looking fish, this was in October 2016, my first muskies, flipping trees with a jig around the Catchall.

There's fish in there, they're not easy to find but once you learn to fish grass you'll be amazed at what you can find/catch.

2018 season is coming!
Good luck to you all.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'm confused by your post...maybe it's me. What did catching a Muskie have to do with Walleye?

There are TONS of Walleye in the Rideau River right now. Maybe better than it's ever been.

If you follow the Mille Lacs situation the folks in that area are all over their DNR for it, no one understands the closure.

RJ
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I wish there were walleye in my section of the Rideau(above Merrickville)..... I've heard stories from some of the locals, but I've never seen one, and I've tried for 'em a few times. Anyone ever get one up this way? :lol: :)

I've also heard there were Mooskie......tried for them too last year.....also NADA.... :lol: :(
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Gord,

If you are talking there area between the Merrickville and Kilmarnock locks, no, I have never caught one up there. The only fish I have pulled out of there so far are Bass and Pike.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

lape0019 wrote:Gord,

If you are talking there area between the Merrickville and Kilmarnock locks, no, I have never caught one up there. The only fish I have pulled out of there so far are Bass and Pike.
Yup.....that's the area. That's all I've gotten for the most part too.....bass and pike. Also crappie, perch and assorted panfish. There's some good carp in here as well.....but I haven't really targeted them yet. Might give 'em a go this year. :)

Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Post by Still Chasing »

By say Rideau System I am including anything west of Burritts Rapids as well. While it is nice to hear about incidental walleyes being caught I want to get a feel for those who target walleyes west of Burritts Rapids.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well, you really didn't say that to begin with but good to know the area you are concerned about.

Truth be told, I would wonder if the water west of Burritt's Rapids would even be deep enough to support a healthy walleye fishery? I know it has some spots deeper than normal but for the most part, it is rather shallow up there until you hit Lower Rideau. NO matter what type of system you put in place to help bring back a healthy population, it would be moot if the ecosystem could not support the species.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Still Chasing wrote: I want to get a feel for those who target walleyes west of Burritts Rapids.
No one targets walleye west of Burritts.......
lape0019 wrote:Truth be told, I would wonder if the water west of Burritt's Rapids would even be deep enough to support a healthy walleye fishery?
This is why....
Dobyns Army member
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

lape0019 wrote:Truth be told, I would wonder if the water west of Burritt's Rapids would even be deep enough to support a healthy walleye fishery?
max depth around 16ft(in main channel)....bottom comp is mostly muck/sand combo. Very few spots where there's any rock/stone, one being below the dam @ Kilmarnock. NOT the most walleye friendly water. I'll be going below Burritts if I want to target walleye or muskie.....not that far of a tour. :)

lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Gord,

That exactly what I mean. I basically went through the entire area on the Navionics web app and noted a few deeper 16 foot holes but for the most part, even the channel is pretty shallow. The area east of Burritts has a lot more deeper water with a lot more medium depth water around the channel as well. West of Burritts seems a lot narrower and is eaither deep in the channel and super shallow right beside or has very limited mid depth water.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

yup......all largies & pike, all the time.....the odd smallie too. I kinda like throwing topwaters off my dock on a summers eve.....always get slammed by something! :lol: :lol: :D

Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Post by Still Chasing »

Perhaps I am not saying it correctly so here goes again. By Rideau system I am talking all the way to Lake Ontario and all the lakes, ponds channels etc. From what I gather from some older fisherman some of those lakes etc use to have lots of walleye. In fact one of the resorts on these lakes still list walleye as a species you can catch but locals say not any more. Sorry for the confusion but I have always referred to it as the Rideau System. Thank you for your patience.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

This thread seems a bit of a moving target... :lol:
There are still some big walleye in Big Rideau lake, but tough to find. Some in Lower Rideau as well. Upper Rideau, into Wolfe, seems to be the most consistent, but not a great fishery either.

South of Newboro, the Cataraqui watershed, only occasional, rare, eyes are found. Overfishing, the dams, and the nutrient loading, have essentially destroyed walleye in that part of the Rideau system.