Lure Manufactures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Lure Manufactures

Post by kevinv »

I was on another forum, and I was reading how some anglers will stick with only one Lure Manufacture over another. So I started to think, and I was that way at one time. I choose what I seen work on tv, or in books. I still have some that I swear by, and are my got lures. Anyway. I was wondering when you are purchasing lures, does brand matter?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lure Manufactures

Post by lape0019 »

Yes, Brand matters but that doesn't mean I stick to one brand over another.

Brand recognition will sell product but if the product isn't any good, it won't take long for their sales to start falling. I am more concerned with quality than the brand at this point. If you put out a quality product, I will more than likely give it a try. The Brand may get me in the door, but the quality is what keeps me there.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Now that is a loaded question!!!

I'm sure you will get a few replies to this one, but here is my take.

As a "Multi species" angler, I will say yes, only to a degree.

1st, when it comes to fishing, experimentation is #1 (IMO) Find what works, and nothing works all the time (IMO) Colors, styles, weights , the list could go on and on. Do I have certain baits/lures I'll buy only by that manufacturer, or style and color, yes. Though, these have worked for me over the years, but I'm never above change, or trying something new.

I always look for "The new" Though, I always buy "The old" for confidence reasons.

For example: When I go chasing steelhead, there are a million different companies who make "Pink worms" I ALWAYS use 3" Berkley power worms, 100% of the time. It's just what I know and like.

Throwing a 1-Minus, I ALWAYS use Mann's, I never deffer to other brands, or same style baits.

Spinnerbaits, I'll use any companies, I like some, but will try others. The same goes for stickbaits, top waters (I do have my favorites) But will experiment also.

Hooks, jig heads, I use a few, but mainly stick to a "Top 3" brands, per say.

Soft plastics, I use senko's alot, but mainly for my kids and the wife. Do I always buy Yamamoto brand? Hardly, though I do keep certain packs and colors, just for me 8-)

Fishing, is always, has been and will be a learning curve. I've gone out Steelheading, and using the same eggs, tied mine with scarf, and my buddy tied in mesh, same color, same eggs, I got 14, he got 1. There is no right or wrong, unless you are sponsored, and push the product, which is fine! If you have something that works, (If it aint broke, don't try to fix it)

If I spend 20$ or 2000$ on gear, and not even catch a fish, when I get home and say "I did not have fun" Check your local classifieds, cause all my gear will be up for sale LOL

F.F
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

As per lape0019, YES Quality keeps brands in the game, and buyer's happy. Nothing wrong with quality, and you may pay a little more, but the quality makes for 1 stop instead of 6.

As per that, though, my steelhead gear costs a small fortune, though I have been out with my wife, and with the same terminal tackle, and her gear (My back up set-up) can whoop me and has on more than a few occasions!

Confidence is the key, even if your throwing a hook and worm.

F.F