CARP in the Rideau

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
sw15
Participant
Participant

CARP in the Rideau

Post by sw15 »

Hi
I was looking for some info on CARP fishing. Don't need your hot spot but is there a zone in the Rideau that is worthwhile targeting for CARP. I live down in Manotick. Do I troll for them or cast for them. Do they like shallow water or deep water. What time of year is best to fish for them Reading posts on here it sounds like there fun to catch

Thanks for any help
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: CARP in the Rideau

Post by lape0019 »

Can't help you much but will say I see a lot of them in the shallows between James Island and the 44 bridge. They take off pretty quick when I see them but there are some fair sized ones in there.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Rideau has a lot of carp but unfortunately I have yet to find a point with a strong concentration. though dams seems to have a better concentration that most areas. I have seen pods swimming around Watsons mills (in the pools between the dam and the fishermans path). I know people who catch them regularly at the chapman mills conservation area in the fall. The most promising I have seen on the rideau is dow's lake in the spring after the water is raised but before the weeds get to think. I have seen some caught at Kars. Best time to catch them is Spring and fall in the shallows but can be found slightly deeper in the summer.

Carp is a patient mans game. You need to still fish for them. You still fish for them. Corn is generally used to avoid panfish picking at your worms. There are some areas where panfish activities are light and you get get away with worms though. Generally you need something called a bolt rig. Google it on youtube and your'll get a million videos. Small circle hooks (size 6 or 8 work best).

You DO NOT need the hyper finesse tactics they use in Europe. They are much less shy and more plentiful here.

For best results, spread out corn the night before in the area you intend to fish. The more days you do this for the better your results will be. If the corn disappears you know they are in the area.

Good luck!
sw15
Participant
Participant

Post by sw15 »

Ok

Thanks guys for the info

Maybe this year I will just keep an eye out for them while I fish in the spring and am learning areas this summer since I now have a boat and be more prepared for the this fall or next spring
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Funny you should say troll, on a yak I have trolled small gold or yellow lures and gotten hits. Never caught one that way.

In the early spring they will seek warmth so shallower water away from any currents...especially mid day. They are skitterish shallow. They tend not to travel great distances so once you find them they do not move too far as the season progresses. I like on the downside of a choke point. Later in spring they spawn and jump all the time so you will know where they are for sure. But at that time they won't be interested in food. They will come to the food and corn is perfect. If I am fishing carp I try to come consistently to a spot the same time each day. You don't have to prebait. If it is a good spot they will bite within an hour or two. Do throw a handful of corn to the spot you will fish. I like to cover the hook completely with corn so I am not going to toss it way out there...nor do I like the spot to be close to shore...it is like they can see you. The simplest rig is a bolt rig. Also a baitrunner reel can make the process brainless. So simple you could bring a book. It's a nice way to fish if you have something on your mind or you are in a beautiful spot.
...anything to bend the rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Best bet on the Rideau is Mooney's Bay. Have a look at the depth charts of that stretch and pick a spot where it drops off the fastest. Bait 3 nights in a row with corn (lots of it) and fish the 4th night and hold on.

Like mentioned the bolt rig is best method by far.

I know of legit 40 lbers from that stretch.

RJ
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Where I've seen alot of carp is below dam at BLACK RAPIDS.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I grew up in manotick. when I was a kid there used to often be tons of them against the wall at the Mill. I'm talking 80s. no idea now though but worth checking out
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Post by Happy Hooker »

I grew up in downtown Ottawa,
we would fish the canal, always got carp. All day long.
Still fish with worms or corn.
Happy Hooker