Brown Bullheads or Mudcats

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Brown Bullheads or Mudcats

Post by Panfisher »

G'day,

We called them Mudcats when I was growing up in Napanee. Their official name is Brown Bullheads. It is the fish that started me fishing. I am hoping they might win over my daughter.

Would anyone have any suggestions for places to fish for Bullheads around Ottawa? I was thinking Shirley's Bay or Mud Lake.

Thank you of your help.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Brown Bullheads or Mudcats

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

It's been years since I've fished for them. Though, what I found years ago, is try culverts, or creek mouths into any river. They (In years past) seem to find water where suckers will spawn. I used to just drop a dew worm, or some form of bait I.E a small chunk of liver, or meat per say, and dead stick em. You would get the odd bonus sucker up the creek/river mouth. Try The Carp River if your out in the west end. Right by Fitzroy is where I used to go in the west end. A simple rig, just a #6 or #8 hook, an egg weight right about 18"s to 24"s from the hook. Let it sit, and wait.

Hope this helps!

F.F
Trevor
Participant
Participant

Post by Trevor »

The nation river is full of them, great spot for kids can catch them all day. We fish around chesterville.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Taylor creek just east of Orleans was always a perennial spot for us when I lived in the east end of Ottawa. Back then you could park right on the shoulder of the highway and just cross over and fish along the creek. Then they put up no parking signs there and you had to go further up the road to park and just walk back to the creek. I have no idea what it's like now for parking there anymore. Best days we had were on nights when the Habs were playing in the playoffs as it was far less busy.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Neosphere
Participant
Participant

Post by Neosphere »

Hey, Hello everyone..!!!
Newbie From Kathmandu, Nepal.
sw15
Participant
Participant

Post by sw15 »

Can you put a 14 ft aluminum in the nation river near Chesterville and if so is there a car boat launch there
Trevor
Participant
Participant

Post by Trevor »

The bullhead fishing is better east of chesterville as far as numbers go, but chesterville and west has bigger. There is a boat launch in chesterville on the west side of the dam, you can travel as far as the cheese house and bit past then there is some rapids. There are a couple home made launches east of chesterville but i wont even try to direct you to them, farmers fields type stuff. No need for a boat, lots of shoreline to fish from.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Mud Lake definitely has bullheads, but they are very small and difficult to fish for kids because there are so many geese/ducks there, it can actually cause problems.

Channel Cats from Deschene rapids are really fun and they tend to be smaller around that parking lot, easy for kids to handle and lots of fish will be biting in about 2 weeks. Highly recomended.
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Panfisher »

By the parking lot. Do you mean the parking lot for the yacht club or the water treatment plant?
scarkner wrote:Mud Lake definitely has bullheads, but they are very small and difficult to fish for kids because there are so many geese/ducks there, it can actually cause problems.

Channel Cats from Deschene rapids are really fun and they tend to be smaller around that parking lot, easy for kids to handle and lots of fish will be biting in about 2 weeks. Highly recomended.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Panfisher wrote:By the parking lot. Do you mean the parking lot for the yacht club or the water treatment plant?
scarkner wrote:Mud Lake definitely has bullheads, but they are very small and difficult to fish for kids because there are so many geese/ducks there, it can actually cause problems.

Different area - Deschenes Rapids Parking Lot - off the river parkway, about 5 minutes from Britannia.
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Panfisher »

Thanks!
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

I grew up calling them mudpout! They taste amazing in the early spring, and so easy to catch! I usually catch them in the Mississippi river west of Ottawa, or I also like this little stream out near Embrun east of Ottawa, I think its called the Castor. Either way, lots of fun and good eats!
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

These started many people off. I was always out with friends in early spring in the creeks near Glen Walter.

Not familiar in Ottawa area for them. Good Luck