New techniques you want to try

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

New techniques you want to try

Post by CNs »

We all have our favourite techniques that are our goto methods for catching fish.

My favourite is definitely drop shotting followed by crank-baits, Late last year I started throwing a NED rig with much success.
There are sone techniques that I do nor use:

1) Jigs - can't stand them. I keep buying them but.... throw it out shake it a bit - no bite? reel and do over. Wait let me change colours whit or blue black BORING!
2) Tubes same as jigs although I have used them as drop shots
3) cranks in timber and dredging the bottom. afraid to get hung up in timber, and can never get deep enough.
4) Chatterbaits type baits. When they first came out all I got was pike.
5) swimbaits - threw them occasionally last year

So this year I will not be grabbing the drop shot rod first out (although I did pick up a Steez DS rod).

I will be trying to throw:

1) more jigs and tubes dredging the bottom
2) deeper cranks to dredge the bottom
3) more chatterbaits
4) more swimbaits
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: New techniques you want to try

Post by Wallyboss »

One of these days I'll leave all my rods at home except my flipping rod and just my jigs. I definitely need to give them a try.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I don’t have much new in the way of techniques to try. I did pick up a hardbodied swimbait to try again but we will see how that goes.

As for jigs, leave them alone. They don’t work at all :D :D :D

Cranks? Don’t worry about getting to the bottom. Most of the fish I’ve caught on them but after the crank has come up off the gotta and is surfacing. If I learned anything last year, it’s that cranks don’t always need to be in contact with something. 4 feet down in 20 tow, inches off the bottom, or slightly higher than the tops of the vegetation will all get strikes. You just have to be patient.

And chatterbaits? I’ve caught a few bass but I’ve caught some monster walleye on them. Wish they were bass but they fought good.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

For me it’s drop shotting, understand the set up and mechanics of it but never know when and where to use it... live 5 minutes from the St.lawrence and know lots of guys do it out there but I still have lots to learn, I’ve been spending the last half of the winter doing lots of reading and watching YouTube videos trying to learn, with the leafs being as bad as they have the past two games I’ve had some extra time to do some reading while on the couch lol
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'll admit it, I'm hooked on Chatterbaits. I'm going to expand on their use more.

RJ
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

For quite a few years now I have been trying to add a new technique/presentation each year.

Last year was the Neko Rig.

This year it will be a swim jig.

I had rediscovered crankbaits/jerkbaits/diver/deep divers for the first time several years ago and have been slowly updating my hardbaits yearly for a while now, as well as adding a squarebill rod and a deep diver rod to my arsenal.

That being said, I am at the point of my friggin’ head exploding with trying something “new” every year. Have you tried this? That? This and that? How about? You haven’t tried it yet?

This year I have decided to take a step back and just catch my breath so to speak. I want to take the time to analyze the waters I fish and decide what tactics do I still need to incorporate aa well as spending more time with those that show promise but require more water time to fine tune.

I like to start dropshotting at about 12ft so I was looking for a soft plastic presentation other than a wacky rig to fish 12ft. and shallower. I have found that in the Neko rig.

I am looking for something to go deeper into the slop than a spinnerbait and not get tangled up. Enter the 6th Sense Divine swim jig and X Zone Swammer for this year.

jshow89 wrote:For me it’s drop shotting, understand the set up and mechanics of it but never know when and where to use it... live 5 minutes from the St.lawrence and know lots of guys do it out there but I still have lots to learn,
For me dropshotting the St. Lawrence is setting up for a drift.

Use enough weight to get your bait down and try to keep it as vertical as possible. The more your line trails out behind your boat the bigger chance of getting hug and losing stuff.

Boat control. It’s more than a 112lb 36v motor. The only thing that will be the same every time you go to the river is how fast the current takes your bait downstream. Wind velocity and direction will dictate how difficult it is to stay on top of your D/S rig on a drift. I have and use a drift bag at times.

Short tag end to the weight – crayfish and goby imitators.
Long tag end to the weight – minnow imitators.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Dobyns Army member
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

RJ wrote:I'll admit it, I'm hooked on Chatterbaits. I'm going to expand on their use more.

RJ

Apparently I'm the only person in the known universe that has had absolutely NO luck at all with a chatterbait. :confusion-shrug:
Dobyns Army member
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

No Steve, there's two of us. Lol

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Tacklejunky66
Participant
Participant

Post by Tacklejunky66 »

Looking forward to try the new Booyah Toad Runner frog
Reelin' in the years
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

DropShot’r wrote: ...
I like to start dropshotting at about 12ft so I was looking for a soft plastic presentation other than a wacky rig to fish 12ft. and shallower. I have found that in the Neko rig.
DropShot'r, I have thrown a tube on a drop shot into 4 fow where I would normally toss a frog - result was a 5lb largie. I will drop shot anywhere. I usually use jackal cross cut shads, small swim baits , slammer style baits, tubes. As you put it, depending on the length of the line from the weigh to the hook, it can mimic anything. I rarely fish a drop shot vertical.

And as for all the "new" techniques, I agree it can be come overwhelming. On the other hand on my last outing late fall, I would usually throw a jerk bait. The fish were having none of it. I pulled out the drop shot rod and.....nothing. Decided that I needed something to get into the weeds but not to get hung up. Tried a chatterbait but kept getting hung up in the weeds. I set up a ned rig. worked perfectly. So having other techniques when your goto technques don't work can make your day.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Jigs for me have always infuriated me. Part of the reason may be that I just switch to a Texas rig rather quickly because I know I can catch fish on it much easier. I have had success fishing a jig but most of the time I fish it gets stuck in wood or full of weeds and I put it away. I always buy more but they just gather dust.

I seem to have a huge collection of crankbaits but have no idea what to do with them 99% of the time. I did get some consistent success with jerkbaits late in the year but nothing to brag about.

I as well have taken a liking to the chatterbait and have had varying degrees of success. The pike to like it but have got some decent amounts of bass on it. I will continue to use them and learn how to use them more this year.

Drop Shot, where to I begin I fished it on lakes mostly last year I think I caught maybe 2 fish all year. Tubes for me have been much better for me. I Don't really fish current other than when I fished the Pro-am on the St Lawrence both times i got skunked. I know they catch tons of fish I'm just lost at how to fish them ha.

Although not a technique I'd like to learn how to use my graphs more tinker with my settings more, I have an 858 Di and an 859 Di both with gps I'm able to see the odd fish but nothing crazy unless its a giant baitball.

Swimbaits, Other than fishing them weedless thats about all I have experimented with any other ways of using them.

I have lots to learn this year hoping to be able to use some of these with greater success this year.

Brian