First solid spring outing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

First solid spring outing

Post by zippyfx »

I went out to one of my favorite spots this morning. I hit it each spring. I love the species mix I get at this spot so it worse the hassle. Under a bridge down a steep path being attacked by mosquitoes non stop for 3 hours. Slipping and sliding on the slippery clay banks. If you don't hit this spot in the spring you need to do some bushwacking; Given the mosquitos are so bad this is not fun while wearing a hoodie on a warm day.

Every year there something just a little bit different. The nation river is reliable from drum and I can usually land a mit full of smaller ones, but today I landed about half a dozen with three being between 26-28 inches. That puts them at about 8 pounds. Feels like a tank on my medium light rod. It's been a while since I had to fight a fish for that long and listen to the drag scream everytime I gained some ground.

That was the highlight of the morning but there was alot of slime in my net this morning form others:
Landed 3 sliver redhorse (largest about 3 pounds):

Landed 3 shothead redhorse (all in the 1 pound range):

Landed 4 channels in the 2-4 pound range:

Landed a nice medium walleye:

And last but not least nice small Mooneye:

This was a surprise as I had not caught one there in two years.

Surprisingly this year, no bullhead or carp.
Tacklejunky66
Participant
Participant

Re: First solid spring outing

Post by Tacklejunky66 »

Nice mixed bag, never fished under that bridge even though i pass on it every morning on my way to work. Another good spot for a mixed bag is under the metal bridge on the 9th between Plantagenet and St-Isidore...there's even some kind of a boat ramp. This morning i was under the two 417 bridges in Casselman, caught 2 snot rockets
Attachments
20170519_092615.jpg
20170519_092615.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2548 times
that one was in a fight, had a bloody tail
that one was in a fight, had a bloody tail
20170519_122038.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2548 times
Reelin' in the years
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

+1
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice Pike!

Thanks! I'll give some of those other spots a try as well.