Rideau River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
meteorbrews
Participant
Participant

Rideau River

Post by meteorbrews »

Hey guys, I moved to Kemptville about 4 years ago, but I just starting to fish the river and I don't have a great idea of what works, where and what I'm doing out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a charter this September for the river? I like going for Walleye, pike, crappie and I know fall wont be top notch for that, but I'd still like go out and learn the river a bit more.

Second question, where are the boat launches along the long reach? I put in off Muldoon last time, but my van didn't do a great job pulling the boat out, I am looking for either a shallower launch than Muldoon or a concrete pad. I have a 19ft 1970's fishing boat with a 110 Merc on the back. I'll be getting a truck before next season, but I'd still like to be able to get my boat in and out of the water a few times this summer too.

Thanks for your input!

Brad.
ralphie
Participant
Participant

Re: Rideau River

Post by ralphie »

All those fish and more on the Rideau. Troll the edge of the channel weed beds. Both sides6
Ines good ramp in osgoode, Kemptville park onto south branch feeds out to Rideau, another on north side take 16 over bridge first exit on rightmuldoon gets rough from 2 wheel drives spinning out gravel supplied by volunteers I was told love fishing Muldoon there is less boat traffic
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Post by gatekeeper »

Ramp at Reeve Craig Road is decent as well can launch some pretty big boats there and it's free last time I checked.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

For walleye, stay closer to the channel. For pike and musky, I have caught them both while targeting bass in anything from right beside the channel to about 4fow.

As for the launches, the better ones have been mentioned. I think I have used Muldoon once and its a bit tricky. Reevecraig as stated is free and is a good launch. I use the one at Taylor Conservation area near Osgoode most of the time because its the closest to house. It's a concrete ramp with a dock.

Good luck out there.
meteorbrews
Participant
Participant

Post by meteorbrews »

Great, thanks for the replies, I'll try the Reeve Craig boat launch next time, hopefully it'll work out better!

I am used to jigging for walleye where I've gone in the past (small lake near Earlton, ON), what works down here on the Rideau? I've picked up some Big O's in "pearl", a Red Fin or two and some white tubes.

Brad.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

That stretch of the Rideau requires weedless lures or patience while taking weeds off hooks every cast. Also patience helps with all the recreational boaters. But the fish are there. I still use tube jigs for walleye on the rideau with success and if you are out in the evening a troll along the channel weed edge with a swimbait or crank has some success. Hot sunny days, walleye are sometimes buried right down in the deepest weeds.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Oddly enough, I have caught more walleye on w white coloured chatterbait than I have bass on the rideau.

It drives me nuts because all of the walleye I have caught have been decent and I was hoping they were pic worthy bass!