Walleye Upper Rideau Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Balleye
Participant
Participant

Walleye Upper Rideau Lake

Post by Balleye »

I will be staying in a cottage on Upper Rideau lake for a week and a half in August. Interested in fishing for Walleye. Not reading or seeing much online that would encourage me to bring my gear.

Am I wasting my time? Should I focus my efforts on bass?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Balleye
Isoblue
Participant
Participant

Re: Walleye Upper Rideau Lake

Post by Isoblue »

If you only have a week and a half I'd say you're better off targeting bass. There are (possibly were, at this point) walleye in there but I can count the number I've caught (or seen belly up) on one hand in 20 years of spending my summers fishing up there. On the other hand, smallmouth are very plentiful and I'll usually pull a good number of 4lbers out each summer. Try anything that looks like a crayfish on a rocky flat, or black and silver jerkbaits. There are some monster largemouth in there as well if you can figure out where they are.
Balleye
Participant
Participant

Post by Balleye »

Thanks for the info Isoblue. Was hoping for some Walleye - but perhaps may target the bass and see what I can pull out of the water.

Cheers,
Balleye
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

I would tanget sharp breaklines leading into deep water. Also try finding rock piles in 30ft of water and try hugging or rigging them.