leaders: yes or no?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
loophole
Participant
Participant

leaders: yes or no?

Post by loophole »

I lost a few lures to pike in Mississippi lake a few years back and started using metal leaders. It sure makes life easier when I want to switch lures. But it seems to me that my cast to strike ratio has diminished since I started using leaders. Is that usually the case or is it just my imagination? I'm usually targeting bass and walleyes where I fish. What do folks recommend?
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: leaders: yes or no?

Post by toobinator »

No
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Never used a wire leader. Fluro leader when required.
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Post by tacklebox »

No to a leader small swivel with a clasp after every catch check your line for fraying especially from pike my catch ratio has been good better than with leaders ..

tacklebox
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I never use a steel leader with a swivel. If I am concerned about the fish seeing the line, I will tie on a flouro leader but I don't ever worry about losing lures.

Do I lose lures? you bet and its a pee pee off when it happens but it doesn't happen enough to me to warrant worrying about it.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

Just my two cents:
Tie a 24"-36" fluorocarbon leader 20-30lbs to braid 50-60lbs. There are whack loads of different knots to join them but my go to is the FG or Alberto both are secure and easy to tie with practice. If you want quick lure swaps look into the fastach its really quick however it picks up weeds so I use it less and less and just have a few likely options tied on to a few rods. Those little mississippi pike are buggers and they are able to damage even thick fluoro leaders so I make it a habit to feel the leader after I land a toothy bugger (walleye incl) if it feels rough I clip and retie.

Any major makes of leader material is good (seagar and suffix are my choice though) I go for what is on sale or cheapest.

Ben
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

For the most part I don’t use wire leaders, however, there are a few exceptions.

I find those commercially made plastic coated monstrosities far too heavy, stiff and long.

Many, many years ago I started to make my own leaders, and over time my leaders have shrunk to about 2in. long, no more. I use 18lb Sevenstrand wire, size 0 Black BPS welded ring ball bearing swivel and an appropriately sized black BPS Fast-Lock Snap.

Fluorocarbon leader is stiff, the heavier the line the stiffer the line. Pike teeth will nick, damage and cut fluorocarbon, I have none of these issues with 18lb wire.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Thanks everyone.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

These are awesome! I got tired of being bitten off by pike, and they aren't too obtrusive.

https://stringease.com/collections/lead ... of-tippets
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"