Line breaks 2018 - where was I going wrong

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Line breaks 2018 - where was I going wrong

Post by jshow89 »

Hey everyone I am turning to all of you for some hell and advice. This summer I seemed to be having an issue with my senko rig setup this summer. I was using 10lb braid as a backer with an 4’ 8lb Fluro leader. I tied the weedless wacky rig hook on using a palomar knot, I always changed the fluro to start each trip, but was running into this issue a lot, could be first cast of the day or 10 cast in etc. Basically I had an issue on hookset, when I would try to drive a solid hookset I would at times get an instant line break right at the knot on the hook, I didn’t have a single fish break off once hooked up, but I lost to many fish on the hook set for my liking... I was wetting the knot down, keeping fresh line, felt like I was doing the right things but still having this issue :shock: im hoping someone else has been in my shoes with this and can give me some advice
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Line breaks 2018 - where was I going wrong

Post by toobinator »

When you tie the knot on fluoro, you loose at least 10% of the line strength, so now you are down to a 9lb leader. Also, fluoro doesn't like a shock, so on a snap hookset the line is liable to break. In dropshotting you should be using a fine wire hook so the traditional "reel down and hammer em" hookset is not necessary. Try to use more of a sweep set. This is still a work in progress for me, old habits die hard. :oops:

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

You might be getting bitten off. Is the line end curled or straight? Straight indicates a bite-off.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Just checking are you using standard fluro for your leader or are you using Fluro Leader. Real Fluro leader is extruded differently than standard fluro and more abbrasion resistant.

What brand of fluro are you using? I like Seaguar.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

zippyfx wrote:Just checking are you using standard fluro for your leader or are you using Fluro Leader. Real Fluro leader is extruded differently than standard fluro and more abbrasion resistant.

What brand of fluro are you using? I like Seaguar.

I was using just standard fluro, not the leader stuff I didn’t know there was a difference and I had been using P-Line
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

Piker wrote:You might be getting bitten off. Is the line end curled or straight? Straight indicates a bite-off.
The line was curled; so I know it’s happening at the knot/hook area
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

toobinator wrote:When you tie the knot on fluoro, you loose at least 10% of the line strength, so now you are down to a 9lb leader. Also, fluoro doesn't like a shock, so on a snap hookset the line is liable to break. In dropshotting you should be using a fine wire hook so the traditional "reel down and hammer em" hookset is not necessary. Try to use more of a sweep set. This is still a work in progress for me, old habits die hard. :oops:

Ed
Well I can say I will have to work on the hook set issue , I was definitely trying to drive it home so I’ll have to work on more of a sweep

Are you having any fall events at your store? I know you have in the past
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Although what Ed is saying about the hook set is spot on, I think your bigger issue may be you are using a Palomar knot for fluorocarbon line. That knot has a lot of friction points that will heat up if it isn't wet enough and with the double line going through it so tight, all of the line my not be getting as wet as you think it is. My knot of choice so far has been the uni and even had issue with it the first year I was using flouro. I tried other knots but was having no more luck so went back to it. What I found was once I started adding more fluid to the line before cinching down, my break offs seemed to stop. So if you think there is enough spit/water/line conditioner (whatever you use to wet the line), add more as you can never have too much.

Now, I personally hate leaders. If I am using flouro, it is my mainline with the exception of drop shotting. If you are already using 10lb braid for wacky rigging, that line is pretty small so I wouldn't worry about a leader at all. I run straight 20lb for wacky rigging myself. If you are using the flouro as a way to get the hook down a little quicker, try some of the weighted wacky hooks (also what I use).

Hope this helps you out.

Adam
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

lape0019 wrote:Although what Ed is saying about the hook set is spot on, I think your bigger issue may be you are using a Palomar knot for fluorocarbon line. That knot has a lot of friction points that will heat up if it isn't wet enough and with the double line going through it so tight, all of the line my not be getting as wet as you think it is. My knot of choice so far has been the uni and even had issue with it the first year I was using flouro. I tried other knots but was having no more luck so went back to it. What I found was once I started adding more fluid to the line before cinching down, my break offs seemed to stop. So if you think there is enough spit/water/line conditioner (whatever you use to wet the line), add more as you can never have too much.

Now, I personally hate leaders. If I am using flouro, it is my mainline with the exception of drop shotting. If you are already using 10lb braid for wacky rigging, that line is pretty small so I wouldn't worry about a leader at all. I run straight 20lb for wacky rigging myself. If you are using the flouro as a way to get the hook down a little quicker, try some of the weighted wacky hooks (also what I use).

Hope this helps you out.

Adam
Okay I will dead try the Uni knot in the future, the only reason i was using the fluro was because of the clear water, I ended up using just the 10lb braid at the end of the year and I don’t think it was affecting the fish at all, your probably right about the smaller line not being an issue

Thanks!
Joe
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Your knot is the issue, palomar on fluoro is usually a big no no.
Been using the Shaw Grigsby knot for fluoro for a few years now with great success.

I don't think the knot has an actual name, but google Shaw Grigsby fluoro knot and you'll easily find the info needed.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I agree on the knot issue. I didn't read the first post close enough and was thinking drop shot so I thought you had to use the palomar. On a texas rig with fluoro I use the old Improved trilene knot. The hookset part still holds true though.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

The problem most likely is how you are tying the knot.

I use 7 & 10lb Sufix Castable Invisiline Fluorocarbon Fishing Line as a leader on 20lb Power Pro braid. I use this to fish Neko Rigs, Wacky Rigs etc. I don’t have knot failures.

When you tie the Palomar Knot the first important thing to do is keep the loop that you passed your hook through on TOP of the knot as you tighten up the well-lubricated knot. When that loop ends up on the side of the knot and not on top, that’s your knot breaker.

The second important thing is DO NOT torque down on that knot to tighten it. When the knot looks good stop. Leave a bit of tag on the knot to allow the knot to adjust itself under use.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

DropShot’r wrote: DO NOT torque down on that knot to tighten it. When the knot looks good stop. Leave a bit of tag on the knot to allow the knot to adjust itself under use.

Good luck,
Drop
:text-goodpost:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

DropShot’r wrote:The problem most likely is how you are tying the knot.

I use 7 & 10lb Sufix Castable Invisiline Fluorocarbon Fishing Line as a leader on 20lb Power Pro braid. I use this to fish Neko Rigs, Wacky Rigs etc. I don’t have knot failures.

When you tie the Palomar Knot the first important thing to do is keep the loop that you passed your hook through on TOP of the knot as you tighten up the well-lubricated knot. When that loop ends up on the side of the knot and not on top, that’s your knot breaker.

The second important thing is DO NOT torque down on that knot to tighten it. When the knot looks good stop. Leave a bit of tag on the knot to allow the knot to adjust itself under use.

Good luck,
Drop
So when I’m pulling my knot tight just snug it up? Not pull it real tight? And what like a 1/4” tag or so?
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

TheMaverick wrote:Your knot is the issue, palomar on fluoro is usually a big no no.
Been using the Shaw Grigsby knot for fluoro for a few years now with great success.

I don't think the knot has an actual name, but google Shaw Grigsby fluoro knot and you'll easily find the info needed.
Thanks I found a few videos of him showing how to do this