2019 Ice season, Shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

2019 Ice season, Shirley's bay

Post by CCLad »

Hi all fellow S.B. fisher folk's. Just wanted to drop a quick note regarding the on ice access at the bay.
I have already been in touch with the NCC to arrange to have them remove the boulders again at the top end of the ramp, allowing multiple ways to get out on the ice once things freeze up. They informed me they will notify me once the work has been done.
Cheer's, CCLad.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: 2019 Ice season, Shirley's bay

Post by smitty55 »

Wtg Tim. Glad to see the NCC is still on board. Good luck out there this year.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

You’re the best CClad. Thanks for doing the leg work on this!!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

All I did was send an email (or several...) Isabelle Hughes of the NCC or I suppose the NCC in general deserves any credit. It's finally nice to have a person in their organization who listens to the people of the area they manage. Hopefully with this done at the start of the season the busted up entrance will be a thing of the past....
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Just to follow up, the boulders have been moved so there are 3 ways to gain access. &&& On a side note they Bay is on the way to freezing over. Looking at the extended forecast it wont be long now!
Cheers,
CCLad
Attachments
Shirley's Bay.jpg
Shirley's Bay.jpg (124.38 KiB) Viewed 11630 times
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

A big THANK YOU to CCLad for getting done what needed to be done. Many will appreciate your efforts. Can't wait to drill some holes. Woohaa!!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

It's early yet, but if anyone ventures down to the bay and has an ice report - Be sure to post it !!! - Not long now!
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

I am curious of thickness!! ANYONE going on ANY ICE be safe! dont go alone! (mssg me if your considering going alone and ill join if im available)
if i get out before anyone posts ill be sure to share! thanks to all and stay alert, stay safe!
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

3-3.5 inches. most holes were 3. kept to the right and didnt very out far. managed to get into 10 ft depth. couple little perch..
i wouldnt recomend anyone venturing out just yet. (said the hypocrit)
MarkM
Participant
Participant

Post by MarkM »

Thanks for the update 613 and thanks CCLad for putting things in motion. The few times I have been out last season, I haven't had much luck out at Shirley's but will be back on the ice forsure.

Fyi I saw a couple guys out on Petrie in the first bay while passing by on the 174.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

MarkM wrote:Thanks for the update 613 and thanks CCLad for putting things in motion. The few times I have been out last season, I haven't had much luck out at Shirley's but will be back on the ice forsure.

Fyi I saw a couple guys out on Petrie in the first bay while passing by on the 174.
Hey Mark, if your interested shoot me a PM, I would be happy to share insight with respect to fishing the bay.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Ooooo it's starting!!!
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Post by Happy Hooker »

Hey guys,
Take it easy, wait for safe ice not first ice. I fell through many years ago, being unsafe but to much in a hurry to be first out.
Question are a couple of fish worth the risk? Be safe out there. Safe ice will come.

Hooker
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

i agree happy hooker! especially the Ottawa river. i should add i was wearing a float suit and with a fire cheif who has experience with ice rescue. he assured me 4-6 inches and we arrived to find 3. breifly wet the lines and got out of there..
a few more inches though :)
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

I went fishing this afternoon at Shirley's bay. There is now Six inches of sound ice in the bay. Skirt the middle of the boat ramp as there is a soft spot there. I didn't see any other bads spots, at least anywhere near me. I walked half a kilometer straight out from the launch to a spot nine feet deep. The fish were biting, caught several perch in the afternoon, a bunch of small walleye at dusk and one burbot just before I headed home. There were another three guys already there.