Calabogie spring trout report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Calabogie spring trout report

Post by Nyarlathotep »

As a follow up to my fall 2018 report, I revisited some Calabogie area lakes last weekend to see if any of their 2018 stocked trout made it through the ice fishing season. The access road had some washouts, which wouldn’t be a problem for 4X4s or ATVs, but were a bit much for my Volkswagen Golf.

It was very scenic, with the added bonus of no black flies or mosquitoes. Unlike last fall, I didn’t catch any 2018 stocked trout (or any other fish) in the lakes that were right by the road or within a short walking distance of it.

But I did catch some 2018 stocked brook trout that averaged about 1 lb each in some lakes that were a fair distance (couple of 100 m to a couple of km) from the road. All trout were caught from shore on a light spinning setup rigged with a fine wire hook and split shot sinker, baited with earthworms. I think that from now on, I’ll only fish for trout in the early spring in this area, and make sure to stick to the lakes that are more off the beaten path.

Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Re: Calabogie spring trout report

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great report, thanks for sharing! All good roads lead to bad fishing. :D
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Sportsman570
Participant
Participant

Re: Calabogie spring trout report

Post by Sportsman570 »

I new to this forums and trout fishing. Been fishing for bass for years but want to try the brook trout route. What’s a good way to start been to a few lakes that I found on the stocking maps but nothing. Just asking if anyone has any tips or something I could try. I’m not afraid to put the work in I understand no one wants to give up there spots but a little shove in the right direction would be nice. Thanks