Fresh Water Drum?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fresh Water Drum?

Post by Tonyb »

I know they are supposed to be on the Ottawa River. Not that I am asking exactly where, but could anyone share their experience on catching these overlooked fish please? Depth, structure, current etc?

Thanks,
Tony
The bigger, the better!
archer2u
Participant
Participant

Re: Fresh Water Drum?

Post by archer2u »

I’ve never targeted them as a species but love caught quite a few from the shore from Petrie island down as far as rock land on the Ottawa with a dead weight and a worm on a hook.
Adam
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

We got some near Wendover, upstream on the South Nation jigging for walleye.

Not doing anything special, jigs and twisters tipped with bait... Worms and Leeches ...
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

On the Ottawa they do not seem to be concentrated anywhere from what I can see I have see/heard of them being caught from arnprior to rockland but more occasional than regular.

The nation river has a larger concentration of them.

They can be caught on anything but worm on the bottom seems to be the easiest way to get them to hit.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

On the Ottawa they do not seem to be concentrated anywhere from what I can see I have see/heard of them being caught from arnprior to rockland but more occasional than regular.

The nation river has a larger concentration of them.

They can be caught on anything but worm on the bottom seems to be the easiest way to get them to hit.
Fongo
Participant
Participant

Post by Fongo »

Go to Jessup Falls Conservation Area ( South Nation River ). There you will see people on the banks fishing for Drum. I always arrive around the 24 Long Weekend when the park opens and fish until 2nd week of June before the Drum returns to the Ottawa River. This year opening times were delayed due to the floods on the Ottawa River. There is a good launch and dock there if you want to fish out of a boat, but most people will just fish along the bank for the Drum. Good Fishing!
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

Thanks everyone, I will make a note for the spring, give it a go at that time!! :geek:
The bigger, the better!
Livebaitpro
Participant
Participant

Post by Livebaitpro »

Hi, all,

I caught freshwater drum on Victoria Island in downtown Ottawa in summer 2016.
it was my first encounter with this fish.
What I know they like current and oxygen rich water.

Hope it helps,
Sincerely, Livebaitpro
Greentrek
Participant
Participant

Post by Greentrek »

I know this reply is long after you asked but it'll still help for later but i picked off a huge one on the Ottawa a little west of cumberland (you can launch from there) and on the far side near the bank believe it or not. Very big. I actually sighted him before getting my line to him! Water at only 8 to 10 feet deep & it was looking downwards and also heading towards the shore! Didnt really expect that but i guess they will do that when hungry? Ya I was able to see all this lol! When i threw my line towards it he turned right around and went straight for it. The only one i ever caught. Never really tried going after them ever. Sure is a different looking fish. Have good line lol! I remember i had good 14 lb. test but i was sure it was going to break off. In checking all this out about them i found out that whole stretch is a good area to find them. Never knew much about them til that happened lol. Cheers.
Never say never.... cuz ya never know.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Oddly enough, I have fished Lac duchene (Shirleys Bay) area for oh... 45 years now - Never caught a single drum...

So.... Don't fish there for them LOL!
CCLad.
Papaclaude
Participant
Participant

Post by Papaclaude »

I've caught a few near Cumberland, while fishing from shore. They do put up a good fight. I actually looked up a recipe that claimed you could make them taste like shrimp. Well, maybe spoiled shrimp, but certainly not any shrimp I've eaten before.