2020 Ice season, Shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: 2020 Ice season, Shirley's bay

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote:Hey Smitty, we moved the hut but not without several issues we had to over come... I didnt put it exactly where you mentioned but in the area. We got 14 walleye, mostly males. 1 3lbs er though. Then I got this beauty - that was a first.
Stugeon Feb 16 2020.jpg
Right on Tim, glad to see I didn't steer you wrong. Like I said we tend to get more jacks come Feb out there during the typical window but that 3lb is a nice bonus.
Wow, big congrats on the Sturgeon, I've never seen one pulled through the ice. I bet that was one hell of a battle, right on.

I'm curious as to the issues you had moving the shack. I'm guessing it had to do with using the sled to move it and the amount of snow.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

With respect to towing the hut - the rear bar on the sled broke. Then we brought the truck out, my buddy was pulling the hut (hasnt done it too many times before) turned to sharp at sthe start and straightened out one of the eye bolts used for towing..

Replaced the bolt and got it set up. We didnt really move it more than about a 9 iron from were it was. I just pushed it back onto the shelf in 11 feet of water.

I was out solo on Mon, wen to toss a log into the stove and what was something HUGE ripped the rod out of the holder and straight down the hole... 15 min of bottom jigging and I wrote the rod and reel off. It was was big!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Well it's a shame to lose an outfit like that, but definitely adds some excitement to the evening. I'd say it's a safe bet it was likely another sturgeon, pretty cool.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote:Hey Smitty, we moved the hut but not without several issues we had to over come... I didnt put it exactly where you mentioned but in the area. We got 14 walleye, mostly males. 1 3lbs er though. Then I got this beauty - that was a first.
Stugeon Feb 16 2020.jpg
Oh wow wow wow - congratulations, that's a great fish!

I have hardly been at Shirleys this year. Only got out in my trailer / hut TWO TIMES this year. I have been ice fishing a lot, but staying mobile and trying new locations. As most people know, when exploring new locations the success rate can be dismal... yeah... that describes most of my outings this year!
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Haven't been out on Shirley's in a while, if anyone would like company out there coffee and minnows are on me!
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

so I went out there 2 weeks ago...my FIL was holding onto my shelter but thought that we wouldn't need it (temps were supposed to hover around 0)...

all we ended up catching were colds hahaha...
oh well.. lesson learned...

I'm looking forward to getting onto some open water for a change...

I'll be more prepared for the ice next winter!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Hope everyone's shacks are OK.....these winds are BRUTAL!!! :o :shock: :shock:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

How is the ice holding up out there after the thaw and snow?
benzo
Participant
Participant

Post by benzo »

levitch wrote:How is the ice holding up out there after the thaw and snow?
Hey I was out just off the Sailing Club yesterday and nearly bottomed my auger out... nearly 2' of clear ice there. No fish though!
BilsonFishing
Participant
Participant

Post by BilsonFishing »

Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm heading out Tuesday or Wednesday in the morning to try out Shirley's Bay. Any pointers of what area to try out? I dont need your gravy hole, just a point in the right direction would be helpful haha. I dont have a sled and I will be walking out with my gear but ill walk as far as needed for a decent spot.

Thanks a lot,

Bilson
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

BilsonFishing wrote:Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm heading out Tuesday or Wednesday in the morning to try out Shirley's Bay. Any pointers of what area to try out? I dont need your gravy hole, just a point in the right direction would be helpful haha. I dont have a sled and I will be walking out with my gear but ill walk as far as needed for a decent spot.

Thanks a lot,

Bilson
I would suggest out somewhere along the red line. Be aware of the change in Walleye regs as of Mar 1. 40cm max.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
BilsonFishing
Participant
Participant

Post by BilsonFishing »

smitty55 wrote:
BilsonFishing wrote:Hey Guys/Gals,

Thanks a lot,

Bilson
I would suggest out somewhere along the red line. Be aware of the change in Walleye regs as of Mar 1. 40cm max.

Cheers

Awesome, I’ll try that out in the morning!

Thank you,
Gpahearn
Participant
Participant

Post by Gpahearn »

Thanks for the tip about the red line on the map. I have never been out there and hope to take my kids out there this weekend. I was going to be guessing by looking at depth charts. This at least gives me a starting point.

Been looking for a place to go for a short 1-2 hour fish (kids attention span) where I can can catch some panfish/perch for them and hopefully have a chance at some walleye for me! Been below manotick locks a few times, but never caught anything. Will give this a shot.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Gpahearn wrote:Thanks for the tip about the red line on the map. I have never been out there and hope to take my kids out there this weekend. I was going to be guessing by looking at depth charts. This at least gives me a starting point.

Been looking for a place to go for a short 1-2 hour fish (kids attention span) where I can can catch some panfish/perch for them and hopefully have a chance at some walleye for me! Been below manotick locks a few times, but never caught anything. Will give this a shot.
What you need to find is right along the 10 -12ft drop just off the edge of the flat and hopefully find your self some current. Basically head out toward Aylmer Island, that should put you close on the left side. The further out you follow that edge the more chance of finding current so I would start right out opposite the mid section between the two islands. or at least past Haycock.
As for the kids, make sure to pick good weather for a start. Bring something else for them to do like a frisbee or ball just in case. If they start catching fish though you won't have to worry about attention span. Nothing better than watching your kids catch fish, my girls both spent countless hours out at Shirleys, and always into the darkness too as I always stay at least an hour after dark.

Good luck out there. How old are your kids?
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gpahearn
Participant
Participant

Post by Gpahearn »

Thanks Smitty

The directions are great. Much appreciated. Good idea with the frisbee. I brought a football last time, made the day more enjoyable. Boys are 6 and 10. I have learned that making them sit out there for too long makes them not want to go. They like fishing from the boat in summer (at least until we run out of snacks!), but haven’t really taken to ice fishing as much. We’ve had a few good perch and crappie on the ice, but too many days where we got skunked. Definitely aim for a nice weather day.