Morrow Lake Access - Or Whities

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Morrow Lake Access - Or Whities

Post by scarkner »

One of my bucket-list fish is Lake Whitefish.

I headed out to Morrow Lake this week hoping to nail some there... but was thwarted trying to figure out a safe way to access the lake.

Has anyone fished Morrow that is willing to provide some advice on the access point?

Alternatively, any good whitefish lake suggestions close to Ottawa would be appreciated (yeah, I know about fish-online and no I am not looking for honey holes...). Lake Whitefish are generally not a heavily targeted or pressured species so that's why I am freely posting this.

Thanks!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Morrow Lake Access - Or Whities

Post by smitty55 »

Steve the Big Rideau has a decent Whitefish population and I know a buddy of mine has some early season spot he likes to hit but that's where my knowledge ends. I think it's safe to say that finding some lower to mid depth structure close to shallow spawning shoals would be good places to target once there's enough ice. Maybe you could sweet talk RJ, he may be willing to give you a nudge in the right direction. :mrgreen:
Aside from that, the Simcoe forums would have some good info on winter techniques and there's a bunch of youtube vids as well, check out the "Meegs Jig" ones, there are other similar style jigs out there. My introduction to Whities through the ice came on our yearly trips to Bark lake at Sunny hill mostly and then at High Country Snoasis for a few years. Every shack came with a good pail full of salted 2" minnows, a few original actual basic wooden tip ups all with a short 3 way spreader with small hooks that you just barely set on the bottom with the tip pointed down like 30°. The minnows worked best hooked a certain way. We also caught suckers and even the odd Laker on them. One thing though, after 3 days of handling and using salties every finger tip on either hand was shot, took a week to recover. That was fine though, kinda like a small rite of passage to remember the great March trips with all the lads. But I digress...

Good luck.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

smitty55 wrote:Steve the Big Rideau has a decent Whitefish population and I know a buddy of mine has some early season spot he likes to hit but that's where my knowledge ends. I think it's safe to say that finding some lower to mid depth structure close to shallow......

Good luck.
Cheers
Oh wow, those sound like some great memories!!!!

Hitting back lakes right now where there is good thick ice already. Rideau will probably be a January thing!

Thanks!!!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Bob's Lake and adjacent Crow Lake have good whitefish numbers.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Out4trout wrote:Bob's Lake and adjacent Crow Lake have good whitefish numbers.
I'll have to give them a shot! Thanks!!!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I olny fished Bob's Lake a few times, and we surely caught whities. This was many years ago, and our access was from a friends cottage. We used mainly buckshot spoons tipped with a minnow head, for all of our set lines were dormant until dusk where the eye's moved in. I'm not sure of conditions, but please use caution, for my friend did go through 2 years before. He made it out, but it was on Boxing day. it was 20 something years ago, but I'd hate to read that anywhere.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!!

F.F
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

I've hit whities on the QC side... 31 mile lake or lac pem.