Need help for possible bait casting combo purchase.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Need help for possible bait casting combo purchase.

Post by Still Chasing »

The only bait casting outfit I have is for flipping. All my other rods and reels are spinning. As someone who fishes for bass, walleye and pike primarily, I can't help but feel I should have another bait casting rod and reel combo but don't know what kind I should get and what purpose would it serve over and above my spin cast combos. Can someone explain why it would be good to have a bait casting combo,when would it be better to use instead of the spinning reel and what gear ratio I should consider. If there is anything more I should know please inform me; very much appreciate.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Re: Need help for possible bait casting combo purchase.

Post by Moobe »

I'm a 50/50 guy - I use and love both types so i won't do the coke or pepsi debate they both have good points and bad points. I really like the accuracy for casting and depending on the reel set up the extended distances i can get from the BC set up that I simply cant from a spinning set up. I also find for larger fish I can (no science behind this just my experience) I can get more power through a BC reel. Rate of retrieve is often faster on BC set ups.

I use them with swim baits, crank baits, spinner and chatter baits and jigs... all the power fishing stuff where I want to cover lots of water or feel I may need to horse one out of the weeds.

For what to use I'd say it is dealers choice on rod and reel make and model you often get what you pay for. But Medium or medium heavy fast tip 7ft with a 6.x to 1 ratio is pretty versatile. The reel is right in the middle for speed so you can speed up or slow down the retrieve as needed. I bought a couple shimano Exage rods and the newer SLX models. both are really good bang for the buck. I like diawa reels and the Tatula is also a really cost effective option.

thats my two cents
Ben
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Need help for possible bait casting combo purchase.

Post by toobinator »

The Shimano SLX is an outstanding reel for the price. With the purchase of the reel you can get an SLX rod for 1/2 price, putting the price of the combo at a little over $200.00. I also have cheaper setups, and more expensive as well, but this combo gives you a setup that will last years. We also put the line on the reel that you purchase from us (mono, braid, or fluoro), and, if this is your first baitcaster it comes with baitcasting 101 as well.

Ed
Paddletales
Save a bass. Eat a chicken