Mississippi Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Mississippi Walleye

Post by bsc2000 »

Hi all,

I've fished Mississippi lots of time for bass and pike but was always a guest in the boat. Now I have my own and have heard and seen people fill the well with Walleyes. Where should I be fishing? Are they biting yet?

Thanks
Scott
Ninja Boot
Participant
Participant

Re: Mississippi Walleye

Post by Ninja Boot »

I have the same questions - I was told target the south part of the lake near where the river mouth is. Any other advice would be helpful!

Thanks.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

I tried today........caught 4 pike haha.....not quite what I was looking for :)
TheGroundTruth
Participant
Participant

Post by TheGroundTruth »

I’ve been fishing there for walleye since the opener and have only caught one small one. Pike and bass were always hitting though.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Was out there on Sunday and managed only one walleye (under the slot). Caught trolling the weed line off of McCreary's Shore in about 12 fow.

Also caught several pike and a couple out of season bass. Along with one huge sunfish.

Had some luck a few weeks ago near Craig Shore, caught 5 walleye, but again all under the slot.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

For those that fish the Miss regularly, how has the slot impacted the walleye fishing? I used to fish it for walleye pretty regularly and did OK. Haven't fished for walleye at all though in the past 3 or 4 years
TheGroundTruth
Participant
Participant

Post by TheGroundTruth »

Mick wrote:For those that fish the Miss regularly, how has the slot impacted the walleye fishing? I used to fish it for walleye pretty regularly and did OK. Haven't fished for walleye at all though in the past 3 or 4 years
I'm there almost everyone weekend and have only caught one eye since the opener (under slot). I've used jigs, slow death, crawler harness, raps, leeches, etc with no luck. I fish the bottom portion of the lake by grasshopper point launch and into where the lake meets the river. Pike and bass are hitting but Walleye are nowhere to be seen.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Mick wrote:For those that fish the Miss regularly, how has the slot impacted the walleye fishing? I used to fish it for walleye pretty regularly and did OK. Haven't fished for walleye at all though in the past 3 or 4 years
I've only been fishing it the past few years since I moved to the area. Fish it about 10 times a year, probably about 80% of the walleye (and sauger) I catch are under the slot. I've caught a handful of keepers and a few above the slot. All the ones above have come through the ice. I mainly fish the southern portion of the lake, and only have a canoe, so moving spots can be pretty time consuming. There's probably better spots on the lake that I haven't explored yet :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

It has helped dramatically. Talk to any Bass guy and he will tell ya, they are there and quality fish.

My only suggestion to those that are struggling is to stop trolling. Pick up a hair jig and start ripping the weeds with it. The walleye are scarce in those basin areas as the water has cleared over the years due to zebra mussels, they now live in the weeds.

Guiding out there I have clients routinely catching them on chatterbaits on weed edges at dusk....

RJ
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by pickereye chaser »

i haven't tried the hair jig too much (or even fished down there this year) but have had luck getting right into the weeds trolling spinners with a 1/8 to 3/16 oz bullet sinker and a minnow to keep the pesky sunnies off. I try and hook minnow weedless - you have to give the fish more time to munch it then the worm.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

RJ wrote: My only suggestion to those that are struggling is to stop trolling. Pick up a hair jig and start ripping the weeds with it. The walleye are scarce in those basin areas as the water has cleared over the years due to zebra mussels, they now live in the weeds.
Thanks for the tip RJ. I'll be going for bass tomorrow, maybe I'll get some bonus walleye at the same time!
aj007
Participant
Participant

Post by aj007 »

Is there a good spot in Mississippi for fishing from shore?
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

I found one of those elusive Mississippi Walleyes today....
https://imgur.com/a/TNsfgGl