Muskie Experience

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

Muskie Experience

Post by BillyBones »

Was out on the Ottawa River early last week (Lac Dechenes) and hooked into two Muskies while fishing for Walleye. Lost them both,
one at the boat that had to be close to 50 inches. I was using home made spinner rigs on a bottom bouncer in 12 to 20 feet of water
on drop offs. I would like to know what baits you Muskie guys are using, bear in mind that I am 73 years old and have arthritis in my
wrist so I can't do a lot of casting. I do a lot of trolling and do quite well when fishing the right structure. I have been looking at Jakes
and Grandma lures. Looking to add some larger lures to my arsenal. Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks
Billy Bones
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Muskie Experience

Post by Daboss »

Keep doing what works, you caught 2, but get a proper leader on heavier test line.
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

Post by BillyBones »

Like I said I was fishing for Walleye. small colorado spinner and a piece of worm on a bottom bouncer.
Would like to get a couple of Muskie baits... Billy Bones
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

You'll need more than baits Billy Bones. You'll need a proper net, rod and reel with min 65 lb lb braid. To cast or troll ANY musky sized bait you will need the proper gear.

RJ
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

Post by BillyBones »

Hey RJ

I have the proper gear, nets, rods, trolling reels. I have caught a great many muskie but after hooking into
that 50 incher on the Ottawa, I have decided to target larger muskie. I can't do a lot of casting so would like
to pick up a few large trolling baits... Billy Bones
Hank Jr
Participant
Participant

Post by Hank Jr »

We do some trolling while Muskie fishing . Like what was said earlier good leader we use longer ones because of muskies rolling up and getting cut by the braid . 65 0r 80 lb braid . We use 10" Jakes and Believers plus you should have some crank baits that get down deeper on the river. Good Luck send a picture of that 50" er when you catch her .
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

Post by BillyBones »

Thanks Hank Jr. I have a couple of jointed Believers with two settings, one for shallow and the other for deep.
Will also try to get a couple of Jakes, I like the perch colours, most of my smaller muskies were caught on jointed
J11 Rapalas. Will be out later in the week dragging large lures for that 50 incher,,, Billy Bones