Kid friendly fishing spots?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
da_guy2
Participant
Participant

Kid friendly fishing spots?

Post by da_guy2 »

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good "kid friendly" fishing spots? Ideally it would be easy to access, lots of easy to catch small fish (like perch or sunfish), and other activities/play structure for younger kids who get bored. I know it's a lot to ask but I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Kid friendly fishing spots?

Post by Mick »

I used to take mine to long island locks near Manotick. We used to get a ton of various pan fish using a hook, worm and a split shot sinker
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Not sure about play structures but many for the locks on the Rideau system have easily accessible fishing for panfish.
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

Hi

I used to take my little one to the Kars public boat launch. The bottom of the road has the river and some SERIOUS panfish mayhem normally on the right hand side of the pier, and the top of the road has a decent park with a play structure etc. I also think the little store is still there and open for sugar reloads.

Good Luck
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Ecolands park sounds like it would fit the bill. Last time I was there, there was small fishing dock at the park.

Dowslake you can piknik near the pond (down from the arboretum) and bring your own activities and fish.

Checkout these spots as well:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 16646&z=14
da_guy2
Participant
Participant

Post by da_guy2 »

zippyfx wrote:Ecolands park sounds like it would fit the bill. Last time I was there, there was small fishing dock at the park.

Dowslake you can piknik near the pond (down from the arboretum) and bring your own activities and fish.

Checkout these spots as well:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 16646&z=14
We tried ecolands last weekend and it didn't go well. There were a constant stream of boats arriving and leaving from the boat launch, and multiple jet skis doing donuts just off shore. Needless to say they chased both the fish and is away. Maybe it might be better during the week but weekend was terrible.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Sorry to hear that. The Rideau can be a zoo on weekends.
Chilipowder101
Participant
Participant

Post by Chilipowder101 »

I second the Long Island locks in Manotick. Panfish everywhere, been fishing there since I was a kid.
billfish3r
Participant
Participant

Post by billfish3r »

I love fishing with my nephews. I dont have kids yet but Ive been treating my nephews like my own. I even bought them their own fly rods last Christmas. If anyone is looking to buy fly rods for kids, you should check out this website.
Last edited by billfish3r on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.