Chasing Silver

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chasing Silver

Post by JimW »

The bite has slowed down but I am still chasing that 30 pound chinook.

My buddy and I went out on Tuesday and only caught 2 and missed one in the first 30 minutes of fishing and then nothing the rest of the day, so we were hoping for a bit better luck on Saturday.

Left my place at 1:30 am we arrived to the boat launch East of Toronto about 4:30 and launch. We run out and set up in 100 feet of water running our two man, 4 rod spread of 2 wire dipseys with flashers and herring strips and 2 downrigger rods with spoons. We were set by 5:15.

About 2 minutes after setting up the last rod.... fish on!!!

5:25 am we land an 18 pound chinook off the wire dipsey (125 feet back) on a UV Plaid with Chartreuse Strip flasher and herring strip.

Around 6 am we land a small chinook on a spoon off the rigger.

No action for awhile, we change up some baits.... different colour and smaller smaller on the herring rig, switch the one spoon on the rigger for spin doctor fly combo still not action.

We pull a rigger out of the water and put out the 400 copper with a green frog spoon. Two minutes later we land another chinook (16 pounds) on the 400 copper.

We continue to grind away until about 12:30 pm. We end the day going 5 for 9. Only 1 bite off the spoon on the downrigger, 3 bites off the meat on the dipseys and 5 bites (3 fish landed) on a green spoon on the 400 copper.

The 400 copper set up can be a great set up some days and it paid off today, but it can be hard some times to get the fish in the boat... 50 foot mono leader plus 400 feet of copper line and 100 feet of backing out, plus a fish making a 100 foot run puts that fish way out there.

We fished in 95-110 feet of water the whole morning.

No not as good of fishing as a couple weeks ago, we had to work for the fish, but happy in the end. Talked to 3 other boats at the boat ramp all 3 were skunked. Another boat went 3 for 6, including a 26 pounder way out in 200 feet of water.

Hopefully back out again in the near future.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Chasing Silver

Post by Out4trout »

Great report Jim - good fishing again.
Have fun chasing the big 30+