Bottom bouncer info

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pikeman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bottom bouncer info

Post by pikeman »

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you add a flurocarbon leader between the bottom bouncer and the worm harness to extend the lenght from the bottom bouncer.

I know that some rigs have a couple feet of line but just wondering if it would be worth it extending.

I have never done it. Just curious.

Pikeman.
CedArt
Participant
Participant

Re: Bottom bouncer info

Post by CedArt »

I've used bottom bouncers and spinners for a long time with very good success

I typically run the "Northland" rigs that I believe have approx 3feet or so of snell

I have never found a need to extend it---as you are not finesse fishing and more reaction bite---I don't think they have much time to examine the rig
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

I also have used Northland Baitfish Spinner Harnesses for quite a while. I typically use the RCH4 size. The #4 blade is paired with a #4 and a #2 hook with a 60 inch snell. While I have experimented occasionally with shortening the snell length, I have never lengthened it past 60 inches. I backtroll (if conditions permit) between 0.8 and 1.1 mph. On a recent trip (mid Aug), we were catching walleye from 24 to 28 FOW.
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by pickereye chaser »

I'd retie or use them as they came. For floating rigs, I go longer occasionally, 48 to 60". For pulling spinners through weeds I go shorter , 24 to 36" as it snags less.

With how much racket a bottom bouncer must make down there I'm not sure how much that impacts spooking fish. And lots of bouncers are painted with bright colours! I tie them as long as practical to prevent snags.

Cheers
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

Post by BillyBones »

Lures.jpg
Lures.jpg (125.94 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
I usually use about 2 to 2 1/2 feet of monofilament behind the bottom bouncer. I don't use a full worm harness, I use some
home made spinners that are so simple to make. Here's a small assortment of what I use. They are good with worms, minnows,
or plastics of any kind... Billy Bones
pikeman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeman »

Tks for the info pickerel chaser and billy bones
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

There are clip on bottom bouncers that work quite well at Cabela's, so you can put them anywhere on your line. I do like to run a longer amount behind the bouncer if using a bouyant lure such as a spin n glo