Cormorant Cull

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Cormorant Cull

Post by gatekeeper »

Well Sept. 15th started off with a BANG! Already 1st article by "Anti,s"! Can,t understand where some get their info. We're seeing rafts of 100,s or more on Lake Ontario and "The Larry". Something I NEVER saw growing up on both for over 60 years until about 10 years ago.Remember taking my kids casting along shore and them having a Ball catching "Pan" fish on virtually every cast. Now we travel same areas and not a "Pan" fish to be seen let alone caught.Now Bigger fish that Cormorants can't eat 2lb.+ are there,but,again in smaller numbers. I.m impressed that the Government didn't "Study" this until there were no more fish,then oops we should have done something sooner. Feels good to get that off my chest. Now let the "Berating" begin!
Chilipowder101
Participant
Participant

Re: Cormorant Cull

Post by Chilipowder101 »

I read somewhere that their feces can kill plants and trees as well. They're still protected by the FCWA so you can't hunt them or disturb their nesting grounds, even if its on your property.

Just fyi I'm not fond of hunting and killing animals but If they're harming the ecosystem as you describe, then they should be labeled as an invasive species and MNR should try to control the population.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Post by Still Chasing »

Moved to Brockville 6 years ago and I could not believe the lack of fishing traffic upstream and the lack of fish on the sonar. Then I read a post by a local fisherman saying that even when he scuba dives he sees minimum bait fish. Guess we can join the dots and figure the fishing is not what it use to be.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Still Chasing wrote:Moved to Brockville 6 years ago and I could not believe the lack of fishing traffic upstream and the lack of fish on the sonar. Then I read a post by a local fisherman saying that even when he scuba dives he sees minimum bait fish. Guess we can join the dots and figure the fishing is not what it use to be.
Keep spreading that rumor. But I can assure you it is 100% false.

RJ
chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by chaser »

RJ wrote:
Still Chasing wrote:Moved to Brockville 6 years ago and I could not believe the lack of fishing traffic upstream and the lack of fish on the sonar. Then I read a post by a local fisherman saying that even when he scuba dives he sees minimum bait fish. Guess we can join the dots and figure the fishing is not what it use to be.
Keep spreading that rumor. But I can assure you it is 100% false.

RJ
Still Chasing I agree with you. There are not the number of fish in this area that used to be here. Yes the Bass are bigger but quantity is why down.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Had the toughest day of the year out there there with a Father/Son this past Saturday. 16 Smallmouth for the day. Seems ok to me.

RJ
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I'll side with RJ on this one. Yes, do I hate the bird? For sure. Do I feel it has compromised any of the water bodies I fish? I cannot say with any solid proof. I follow the "Tourney Syndicate" Like a book worm. The "Larry" "St. Franny" what ever part of "That" fishery you fish. Not only are the numbers up, and the size... WHOAAAHHH!!! I mainly fish an area that has birds on the lake, seen them hated them, and just like a poopy FB post, not a huge fan. I go out one day 30-40 fish ( No giants, but mind you it is a small river system) And the next day 4-7 fish if I'm lucky? I move try different bait's, colors, depths, and it's the birds fault?. No. I do not like the bird, nor do I like the studies and it mainly began on " THE GL'S" right? If I'm wrong please do correct! I've fished many spot's in the city (100% from shore, the only boat fishing I do is when I get a ride, or in my boat at the cottage) I see the birds, but instead of a 4-5 even a 3 lb'er, I get 8-12" smallies.

Remember the "Goby" infestation??? What happened there folks? "Kill em all!!!!" But the every company in the world started making "Goby" imitation baits....

Rant over, I wonder if a Cormorant bait is in order lol

F.F
Chilipowder101
Participant
Participant

Post by Chilipowder101 »

That Cormorant bait might be useful... for catching coyotes?
chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by chaser »

Have fished the river for over 70 years and the fishing is not what it was years ago. Yes the Bass are larger but quantity is down. There is not the bait fish here now for them to feed on and one of the reasons is the CORMORANTS
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Even if commorants have no impact on baitfish numbers......cull them anyways !! ;)
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

chaser wrote:Have fished the river for over 70 years and the fishing is not what it was years ago. Yes the Bass are larger but quantity is down. There is not the bait fish here now for them to feed on and one of the reasons is the CORMORANTS
Not looking for an argument here but the greatest food source to ever hit the river is VERY plentiful and EVERYTHING eats them, Gobies.

RJ
chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by chaser »

RJ wrote:
chaser wrote:Have fished the river for over 70 years and the fishing is not what it was years ago. Yes the Bass are larger but quantity is down. There is not the bait fish here now for them to feed on and one of the reasons is the CORMORANTS
Not looking for an argument here but the greatest food source to ever hit the river is VERY plentiful and EVERYTHING eats them, Gobies.

RJ
That is one of the troubles invasive spices.