Shirleys Bay reports

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Ragehunter
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirleys Bay reports

Post by Ragehunter »

My son and I fished Shirley's Bay last weekend, straight out from the boat launch about 3/4 of a km and fished in 10.2 ft of water. Had a few hits, landed one perch. Left about 30 minutes after dark. Will look for deeper water and give it another shot this weekend!!!
I'll never apologize for being a hunter (or a fisherman)!
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Post by Happy Hooker »

Well said Smitty!
I have fished the Bay for over 30 years and have had mixed success, but always some success.

Hooker
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Ragehunter wrote:My son and I fished Shirley's Bay last weekend, straight out from the boat launch about 3/4 of a km and fished in 10.2 ft of water. Had a few hits, landed one perch. Left about 30 minutes after dark. Will look for deeper water and give it another shot this weekend!!!
If you're around where I think you are you may be almost as far and close to that ledge that runs from 10-15' and runs parallel to the islands.Head straight out from where you were, it may not be far. Don't go too deep or you'll be on the flat. That's where my buds always had their Shacks and there was a bit of a village in that area. There was like 9ft on one side and 13 ft on the other side so the shack was right on the ledge. I've posted this here before so it's not like I'm giving away a secret spot. Anyone can check navionics and spot it easily. I would also suggest staying a bit later, some days it's later before they get further into the bay.

Smitty

Straight shooter
ottawa1234
Participant
Participant

Post by ottawa1234 »

I tend to agree Shirleys bay is a mystery. I go there for xc skiing a lot. I noticed some empty holes on the ice so I brought a rod in my backpack for next ski outing. Skied to the deserted holes and started jigging and landed a couple of small 12 incher walleye almost instantly. Encouraged by the success , I went back next day with my full gear / auger/flasher/pop up tent. Drilled many holes and fished 3 hours with nothing to show , not even a blip on the flasher.

Also thanks Smitty for the image , I will do more research and hopefully find a better location next time.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

In 4 outings this year I have caught 1 small burbot, 11 sauger/walleye and 2 small perch. Not breaking any records but it's a quick drive and I usually get on the ice at 4pm and leave around 530-6. One interesting thing I've noticed is some nights they have been keyed in on live minnows on my set line and other nights I only catch them on my spoon and minnow head. One thing for sure is I've never seen so many people out there. Nice to see people out enjoying the outdoors but also wish they would all stay home instead.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

We got the hut moved on Sat. We ended up with 8 walleye, almost all small, one about a 1.5lbs.. 7 were caught outside the hut on a still line - simple hook minnow and sinker - 1 caught in the hut via jigging.

I went out last night and fished solo. Caught 14 walleye between 3pm and 7pm. 13 caught jigging 1 caught on the still line. So yes there is subltle techniques that do definitly relate to your catch... All of them were small but the action was good. Still need to move out to where we like to set the hut up... Guessing a couple more weeks looking at the temp forcast.
CCLad.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

5 last night, left a little early cause there was hockey on again :)

3 of the 5 were descent 1.5lbs ish.. all fish released....
CCLad
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good going Tim. Better watch it though , you'll end up with a big crowd around you. ;)

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Tough not to have a crowd around you at the bay these days. Had to politely advise an older lady and 2 young teens that it wasn't a good idea to walk all the way across to Aylmer :shock: Explained that there's some big butt shoals out there and I wouldn't recommend walking around the back end of them... The people there now is Nuts compared to yester year.

That said, anyone on here been down there since the lock down yesterday? Just wondering if there is still access to the parking lot? Maybe the chained it off or something.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Was out Wednesday evening for a bit and at the time had access. Going out this afternoon- will report back!
Giuseppe M
Participant
Participant

Post by Giuseppe M »

Does anyone know the ice conditions after all the snow and the warm weather today?
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Was out yesterday, I was pretty far out (one other perm. Hut farther out) and ice was atleast 8”. Nothing was blocked off- I was doing some reading on the stay at home order, and ice fishing isn’t affected by it! There were usual number or people out fishing. Got a 17” walleye and friend got one just a little smaller.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Went out today to move the hut. good thing, with the snow the water came up to the bottom of the ski's... Which were sitting on 4x4 blocks of wood. Still a bit of slush out there but looking at the forecast, things should solidify nicely. Entrance off the launch is wet and needs some time to refreeze, if you can avoid driving on it, probably best at this point.

Didn't concentrate to hard on the fishing with the move and the set up of the hut but managed a walleye, a sauger, both small a perch and a decent northern around 3lbs.
With respect to the covid lockdown and ice fishing, I parked right beside a city of Ottawa by law truck, occupied, unloaded the sled, loaded up the toboggan with all the gear to tow out and he did not even look in our direction... So all is good from that perspective.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Yep, I got checked by the MNR quite a ways from my house Saturday and wasn't given any trouble. There are travel 'recommendations' but no 'restrictions' so as long as you're obeying the rules (less than a group of 5 outdoors) there is nothing they can do.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Now does being in an Ice constitute as being out doors lol???? Regardless.... I'm fish'in!!!