Shirleys Bay reports

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirleys Bay reports

Post by CCLad »

Prairieboy wrote:What are the ice conditions farther out ? At the edge of the shacks yesterday we were seeing 12-14”

We are on 12 inches of clear and 2 inches of white ice where our hut is now... last 2 outings produced 6 walleye both times - all small though.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Fishing was even slower yesterday, 1 small walleye and a Fat ling. We are set up in deeper water than I expected. Have to move the hut again - PITA!. but gotta get on a good spot.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

2 weeks ago my good ol Eskimo pop up finally bit the dust when a gust of wind ripped the tent right off the skirt that was fastened down to the ice. The supply/demand made finding a decent sized hut impossible but finally found one in stock. Anyone have decent luck out there this week?
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Sorry for your loss...sounds like he was a great guy.
3 things that are difficult to lose...your fishing partner, your dog, and your wife...in that order...
The tug is the drug..
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Fordpodolski wrote:2 weeks ago my good ol Eskimo pop up finally bit the dust when a gust of wind ripped the tent right off the skirt that was fastened down to the ice. The supply/demand made finding a decent sized hut impossible but finally found one in stock. Anyone have decent luck out there this week?
Havent been out since last Mon but our last 3 trips out were slow....
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Friend and I got on a decent burbot bite last night. Didn’t see anything on the cam or finder aside from 4 burbot we caught. All rather small. Would rather be pulling up some walleye but a fish through the ice is always fun regardless!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

As I mentioned in a previous post, my best friend and fishing buddy Andres Garami died suddenly. We had fished the night before at Shirleys Bay and were planning a big trout trip later that week. Together with his wife, kids and sister, we have launched a Go Fund Me campaign to install a commemorative bench at Shirleys Bay (with the NCC) and also to rennovate a local baseball diamond where he volunteered his time.
I really hope you will consider donating to this worthy memorial for a guy that loved local ice fishing, but more importantly loved his family and his community.
https://gofund.me/1bbc1e9f
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

I have been out a bunch of times this season with my son and had very little luck... we managed to find some perch one night but aside from that most trips we are getting skunked.

we have tried deep water, shallow water, early morning, dusk and late evening, hole hopping, staying put and calling fish in glow jigs, spoons, live minnows, salted minnows, tip ups...and nothing! (we have 2 fishinders...one for each of us. Sometimes we see small marks but it is so difficult to get them to commit.

any advice or tips would be extremely welcome

thanks in advance
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Levitch go back to my posts on page 1 and 2.
Smitty

Straight shooter
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

headed there now Smitty
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

Hey Smitty...
I've been staying too close to the launch it appears...all of those snowflakes represent my ice fishing holes... but according to your pic I should be looking for the ledge around that big red dot

does that should about right?

Are you driving out that far or walking it?
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

levitch wrote:Image

Hey Smitty...
I've been staying too close to the launch it appears...all of those snowflakes represent my ice fishing holes... but according to your pic I should be looking for the ledge around that big red dot

I usually fish just south of that red blob.. I drive out now. You may get some bites close in but may have to stay out way later... Try around your red blob and should for sure have some better luck!
threeparrots
Participant
Participant

Post by threeparrots »

levitch wrote:Image

Hey Smitty...

Anyone want to throw a few circles on there for Shirley's Bay summer Gar fishing spots? That's next on my Ottawa river agenda :)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Levitch check your PM
Smitty

Straight shooter
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

threeparrots wrote: Anyone want to throw a few circles on there for Shirley's Bay summer Gar fishing spots? That's next on my Ottawa river agenda :)
I actually saw a bunch of gar just off to the right(east) off the launch last summer, and my son got bit off by one there too.

about 30' east of the launch and about 20' north of land