Shirleys Bay reports

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
threeparrots
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirleys Bay reports

Post by threeparrots »

levitch wrote:
threeparrots wrote: Anyone want to throw a few circles on there for Shirley's Bay summer Gar fishing spots? That's next on my Ottawa river agenda :)
I actually saw a bunch of gar just off to the right(east) off the launch last summer, and my son got bit off by one there too.

about 30' east of the launch and about 20' north of land
Awesome! Now we'll just have to wait a few months before I can circle back with a report + photos :)
cjohnson@tj5.ca
Participant
Participant

Post by cjohnson@tj5.ca »

Buckhams Bay Hotspots.png
Buckhams Bay Hotspots.png (74.43 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Hey Levitch,

Don't waste your time bud. Respect for Smitty and Tim as they have exceptional knowledge of Shirleys Bay and are loaded with all of the equipment professionals would use.
Personally, I am just a decent fisherman. I have fished Shirley's Bay enough times to know that it is far too much of a mystery to bother with. If it was the only option then I would hire Smitty or CCLAD for a weekend and put in the time to learn through trial and error.
As an example, I have a trailer on the Mississippi between Packenham and Blakeney and therefore I have had no choice but to find the best spots there in the summer. There, I am like Tim and Smitty. I am the expert and people are always asking me how I am coming back with pictures of multiple Walleye each outing and I tell them but nobody is willing to do the work.

Regarding Shirley's, It's just far easier to just go somewhere else where it is not such a mystery. Try here - I circled the best spot!
Alternatively, IM me and I will give you a lake with decent access about an hour away. Guranteed you will get a minimum of 3 "2-3 pound" Walleye and numerous smaller ones. No need to search for structure there just get on the water.
cjohnson@tj5.ca
Participant
Participant

Post by cjohnson@tj5.ca »

Levitch,

I am about to get abused by the experts...LOL. God love them and I respect their opinions tremendously but I am not going to risk walking out to where there is current under the ice because Walleye prefer current! I prefer catching fish AND surviving the outing! lol

But honestly - please go to Buckham's Bay and then post your results. I absolutely guarantee that you will have more success in one trip (assuming you fish until dark) than you have had at Shirleys combined all year.

I think that some folks love the idea of turning an Ice Fishing outing into a scientific hunting expedition. Then moving around and drilling holes in multiple locations etc....I like to settle, catch fish and cook some food. There are great places to do that within a day trip.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

cjohnson@tj5.ca wrote:Levitch,

I am about to get abused by the experts...LOL. God love them and I respect their opinions tremendously but I am not going to risk walking out to where there is current under the ice because Walleye prefer current! I prefer catching fish AND surviving the outing! lol

But honestly - please go to Buckham's Bay and then post your results. I absolutely guarantee that you will have more success in one trip (assuming you fish until dark) than you have had at Shirleys combined all year.

I think that some folks love the idea of turning an Ice Fishing outing into a scientific hunting expedition. Then moving around and drilling holes in multiple locations etc....I like to settle, catch fish and cook some food. There are great places to do that within a day trip.
LOL I certainly won't abuse you for your opinion, but I will take issue with some of your comments. First off, you couldn't be more wrong about current, except for the fact that Walleye love it. So long as there is enough ice, fishing in current areas is where you want to be. Back in the 80's and 90's there could be up to a hundred permanent shacks out there and once ice in the bay reached over 12" a lot of shacks were moved to current areas along structure, just like Tim does now. Many years there were even shacks out in mid river on some of those humps out there. My favourite area has a good current and generally has about 6" less ice than in the bay proper so once bay ice reaches over 12" I drive out most of the way and then walk out to check the ice there. Once I know it's good there's no issue driving out there. We've even had visitors from the QC side that walked across.
Also I think you're really over complicating things, that structure area that I pointed out always had a good bunch of shacks along it including some buds of mine and each year they simply used two shoreline features as a reference and knowing the approximate distance from shore drilled test holes until they found that ledge, no one had GPS units back then. Nowadays it's easy to go out in the summer to find that structure and mark waypoints to use in the winter too or even just spend some time exploring in the winter until you've found the structure and then mark those points like Levitch did on his trips. Once he finds that structure he'll be set for life. There really is no mystery about it like you seem to think, spending the time out there to learn the bay like you did on the Miss is all it takes. In my case I learned from spending time out on Shirleys, seeing where folks had permanent shacks each winter helped for a starting point when I first started, as there were no navionics maps back then to use for reference. Experience is what taught me to fish real close to bottom, and use a very sensitive setup because often those Walleye bite so lightly you can hardly notice it, unlike Perch that are easy to notice with the tap tap tap. Some days you also have to really wait them out too, they barely mouth the bait and there's plenty of misses and cursing.

Lastly, while I appreciate the comments, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I use professional equipment. For the most part all I use is home made tip ups and a two way spreader with longer snells attached, as I need the weight to keep my line more vertical in the current and having two minnows down there has helped catch plenty of fish after the first one was possibly stolen so I don't have to bring my line up. Sure I'll have a jigging rod too but it doesn't always get used, specially come dusk. At my favorite spot I don't even use any sonar, never did need it as by far most of my fishing is with live minnows close to bottom. Like you I have confidence in my spot so it's also a sit and wait situation, I can only recall one time I moved from it and it was still on the same structure.

One last thing, you mentioned fishing till dark. On Shirleys the worst thing you can do is not fish till well after dark, yea earlier in the season there's a good run just as the sun hits the horizon, but I still always stay at least an hour after dark. Later in the season there's still sometimes a smaller run of jacks at dusk but the larger fish are much more scattered and time on the ice well after dark is needed to catch them. That's been my experience out there anyway.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Ahh fella's, to wiegh in on all of the above, fishing is fishing... With respect to equipment, my 10" gas auger is about the only exspensive thing I fish with, dont even own a flasher....

On that topic, yesterday was absolutly the worst I have ever seen the bay with respect to surfice water/slush. We got stuck on a snowmobile, and SOAKED getting out. I was litterally up to my knees in Ice cold water, with just enogh slush to pull my boots (which only go halfway up my shins) right off :( At least it was a nice day... The weather this week looks good temperature wise though. Really cold tonight and into double digit -C every night for the week. Hopefully it will freeze up in the next couple nights. Met a couple of fellow Hawkers in the parking lot when we got off the Slush! Great to meet you two and thanks for the pop :)

we may move the hut 1 last time to try a new spot of course Ice conditions depending. Looking at the long term weather, we are probably going to pull the hut off this weekend.

& a friendly reminder, slot size is now in effect on the Otatwa river:

Walleye and sauger combined
Season: January 1 to March 31 and Friday before third Saturday in May to December 31
Limits: S-5 and C-2; must be less than 40 cm from March 1 to June 15

Cheer's
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

After looking at this next week weather, unfortunately looks like this weekend MAY be one of the last times to get out. Hope everyone has a safe time getting their huts off! We will be heading out this afternoon for one last kick at the can. Good luck!
chris_f12
Participant
Participant

Post by chris_f12 »

Any update on ice conditions at Shirley's Bay?
I'll probably go check it out, after the warmer days next week and will update. Just wondering if there's a base build up?
Looking forward to get out and drop a line.
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Post by Happy Hooker »

Bring a raincoat! LOL