In-Line reels and ice fishing line

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

In-Line reels and ice fishing line

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Shopping to replace a couple of my spinning reels (on ice-fishing outfits) with in-line reels. Looking for some input.

I get the impression that the in-lines are best for panfish and small walleye in shallow water...not really meant for big fish (big walleye and Lakers) in deep water...yes, no ?? Are the drags suitable and the retrieve ratios fast enough for bigger fish down deep ??

What's the difference in features and quality between say a $40 Eagle Claw in-line, and a $130 13 Fishing Black Betty Free Fall ? Anyone have any recommendations on brands/models ? I usually prefer to pay for quality and have something last, but it needs to be justified.

In open water, all my spinning outfits (and a lot of my baitcasters and trolling outfits) are loaded with braid and then a length of FluoroCarbon leader...I feel I get the best of both worlds..no stretch and sensitivity with the invisibility/stealth of FC.

What are some preferences for ice fishing line... with a rod and reel ? I find braid "ices up " quickly because it absorbs water. .. making it hard to manage, especially on a spinning reel. However, I see the major manufacturer's all produce "ICE" versions of all their types of lines...plain mono, co-polymer, FC and braid. I assume they're treated or coated to resist water and maintain their flexibilty. Personally, I'd prefer the braid to FC combo...simply for the "feel". Are any of the "ICE" braids good ? Or perhaps just keep it simple with straight FC ? Sometimes a little stretch is good. Any recommendations for what line works best for hard water jigging ?

For tip-ups, I usually use 20 or 30 lb. black Dacron (fly reel backing) to a small swivel connected to 3 to 7 ft of 8lb to 10lb FC... the Dacron is easy to see on the ice, and easy to handle when you're hand-bombing a big fish. Any other suggestions/options folk are using ?

Thanks...all comments and input are much appreciated. I've fished open water for 60 years, but not a whole lot of experience on the ice. I usually spent my winters on the ski hill...but unfortunately my knees won't let me do that much anymore...
The tug is the drug..
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: In-Line reels and ice fishing line

Post by Doug »

I have no personal experience with the in-line reels. out4trout (on here) got one last year (or maybe the year before) and he says it is awesome.

As for line, I use mono and FC, either/or. I did buy a small spool of the Trilene 3 lb FC Ice line last year (for perch) and like it a lot. I run 6 lb Berkley Vanish for my "walleye" setup and 8 lb Suffix for lakers. I don't use tipups much, but IIRC I have 12 lb Berkley Trilene on my laker rig, which is a flag type tipup.

Hitting a back lake tomorrow for perch, hoping it will be frozen enough for walking!

HTH

Doug
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: In-Line reels and ice fishing line

Post by Out4trout »

Just saw this now - yes - the in-line reels can be used for larger fish. The one I use is a cheapo Eagle Claw, $50 or so, but it works good.
This is I think the 3rd or 4th season, Hasn't let me down yet, two 17lb lakers and a whole lot of 4-10lb fish. Primarily used for Lake Trout, walleye and a few pike.

I have it spooled with no-stretch ice braid, with a 15lb flourocarbon end. Advantage are no line twist and fewer freeze issues. Negatives for the reel, in the first season, several of the screws had a habit of loosening, which I fixed with a dab of Crazy Glue on each. the drag is not as smooth as a higher end reel, but it does work ok.