At least No Skunk on the Ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

At least No Skunk on the Ice

Post by JimW »

Hit the ice today with my fishing buddy...

..... a little road trip ...... a new lake ..... good weather ....... good company and good food made for a great day on the hard water. The fish were not too active but at least we didn’t get skunked ... we will stay for the prime time evening bite next trip.

Sunday brunch

My friend with a bit of gold

The Smitty Sled...

I quickly built a Smitty Sled out of scrap wood and a pair of cross-country skis the other day and put it to the test today. I was amazing using a long rope for the sled was about 8 feet behind me I barely knew I was pulling the sled. If you ice fish on foot and plug a sled consider building yourself a collapsible Smitty Sled.

I will be building a better version this week for next weekend.

In the photo of the 2 sleds the smaller sled in the back not siting on a Smitty Sled is about half the size and half the weight of the large loaded sled. But with the smitty sled underneath the larger sled it pulled like a dream, much easier to pull the larger sled than the smaller one.

Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: At least No Skunk on the Ice

Post by smitty55 »

Good one Jim. I've never used a smitty sled but from what I've read, with regular downhill skis the wider width on them works better in deeper snow if you have an old pair kicking about.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

smitty55 wrote:Good one Jim. I've never used a smitty sled but from what I've read, with regular downhill skis the wider width on them works better in deeper snow if you have an old pair kicking about.

Cheers
Yep I just picked up a free set of downhill skis the other day, so this week's plan is building version 2.0
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Bigcvin
Participant
Participant

Post by Bigcvin »

I don't post often, but saw this portion on the smitty sled. I just built one last friday for the weekend and used it saturday. What a difference in pulling. I wish I did it 15 years ago. I cannot stress enough how awesome these things are if you have to walk any distance in 4+ inches of snow. I built mine with scraps of 2x6 and 2x4, downhill skis a buddy gave me, 4 fender washers, 4 eye bolts, 4 threaded rod couplings, and a bunch of screws and 2 rachet straps. Me and a buddy have 2 different widths of cross bars depending on how much gear we're taking.
fishingrod
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingrod »

Bigcvin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:20 am I don't post often, but saw this portion on the smitty sled. I just built one last friday for the weekend and used it saturday. What a difference in pulling. I wish I did it 15 years ago. I cannot stress enough how awesome these things are if you have to walk any distance in 4+ inches of snow. I built mine with scraps of 2x6 and 2x4, downhill skis a buddy gave me, 4 fender washers, 4 eye bolts, 4 threaded rod couplings, and a bunch of screws and 2 rachet straps. Me and a buddy have 2 different widths of cross bars depending on how much gear we're taking.
Smitty sled plans are absolutely awesome I think... Thank you for this pics... :)