Ontario resident with Quebec cottage?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
david
Participant
Participant

Ontario resident with Quebec cottage?

Post by david »

I searched online but I can't seem to find the answers. I will call around if I can't find the answers here.

I am an Ontario resident. If I buy a cottage in Quebec, do I still need to pay the non-resident rate for the fishing license?

I also just found out that there is a powerboat fees for fishing around Vals-Des-Monts. The cost depends on the boat motor size. For example, with a 75 HP motor, it costs $40/season for a resident, or $80/day for a non-resident! Again, if I buy a cottage in Quebec (say in Vals-Des-Monts), am I considered "resident" as I will be paying property tax?

Thanks.
/David.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ontario resident with Quebec cottage?

Post by Walker »

Dave, if you use the address for your cottage when you apply for your permit / fishing license then you would be a resident to them.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

For what it's worth...the Quebec reg's state that you need to reside in Quebec for a minimum of 183 days a year to be considered a resident. If you're ever called on it ...whatever is on your Driver's Licence and which Health Card (Provincial ID) you have will ultimately determine residency.

I have several friends on my lake that live in the US, but have cottages up here in Canada...yes, they pay property taxes, however they still can only obtain non-resident licences.
The tug is the drug..
david
Participant
Participant

Post by david »

Yes, the fishing licensing reg mentioned the 183 days residency requirement.

As for the powerboat fees, according to Val-Des-Mont's boating guide (http://www.val-des-monts.net/upload/new ... -guide.pdf), a municipal tax bill can be used as proof of residence.

I guess I need to confirm with the municipal office just to be sure.

Thank you all.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

When C O's ask for your fishing license they also ask for a driver's license or picture ID ..When and if they don't match your up the creek with out a paddle
david
Participant
Participant

Post by david »

Dnbmike wrote:When C O's ask for your fishing license they also ask for a driver's license or picture ID ..When and if they don't match your up the creek with out a paddle
Thanks for the information.
I don't mind and I have been paying the Quebec non-resident rate for years.

It is the powerboat fees that I am concerned with. If I have to pay the $80 per DAY to keep the 75HP boat in the water, I will not consider buying a cottage there.
david
Participant
Participant

Post by david »

david wrote: As for the powerboat fees, according to Val-Des-Mont's boating guide (http://www.val-des-monts.net/upload/new ... -guide.pdf), a municipal tax bill can be used as proof of residence.

I guess I need to confirm with the municipal office just to be sure.
The municipal official at Val-Des-Monts confirmed a cottage owner is considered as "resident" for the powerboat fees.