Ice-fishing for trout in Zone 15 Ottawa Valley

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FishEyes
Participant
Participant

Ice-fishing for trout in Zone 15 Ottawa Valley

Post by FishEyes »

Hi all ice-fishing enthusiasts! So glad we can still get out to enjoy the long winter months on the ice! :D

My buds and I have been fishing Buckham's Bay on the Ottawa for the past few weeks now. We've had our luck catching walleye, perch and pike but, we are avid trout fishermen and would much rather catch some Lakers or Brookies. So, I am on the hunt for any suggestions within Zone 15 boundaries. The Calabogie area has a nice assortment of small(er) lakes with brook and lake trout along the Madawaska river. I would love to pop a tent and try my luck on Barry and/or Belanger Lake. That said; I have no idea what winter access is like beyond using Calabogie Rd. (Route 508).

Is there winter access on Tatty Hill Rd to get up to the Barry Lake trailhead or all the way through to Barry lake?

Any other suggestions, tips, ideas and/or recommendations is appreciated. See you all on the ice! :)

Cheers!
Steve. :banana-guitar:
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Ice-fishing for trout in Zone 15 Ottawa Valley

Post by smitty55 »

Not the best ice so far this year on the bigger lakes for Lakers yet. There have been some folks fishing Muskrat already in some areas but all walking I believe and there was lots of bad ice from one post I saw. This week should make good ice even with the snow. Lakes like Bark and Kamaniskeg can be good later season options into March for Greys, Whities and Ling. Spent many March long weekends up on Bark at Sunny Hill resort and at Hi Country Snoasis when it was operating and there are plenty of small trout lakes close by too and lots of skidoo trails. Use the fish-on line app.
Without exception those March trips with my buds were the best times of the winter I had for like 20 years, even when I was younger and single to after I ended up single with three kids. Tks Mom!! Spent at least 10 years at West Palmerston Cottages too before they closed the Laker ice fishing seasons in 18. Always made it a long weekend. One year we had two cabins and another gang we knew had the the main house with 8 or 9 guys. Lots of trout lakes around Ompah. Weren't as many quads back then, more sleds
It's been a few years since I talked to Sunny Hill, and of course with the current bs restrictions I doubt they are open atm. But if they are lifted there could be opportunities to book a cabin or two in March with ice shacks in the package if they decide to operate as afforded. Talk to your buddies about taking a long weekend short prime time vacation, and give them a call.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
FishEyes
Participant
Participant

Post by FishEyes »

Thank you for your response Smitty55. The ice hasn't been bad, especially in the bays I have been fishing in, but I have kept myself on the river up to now. Fingers crossed we get some cold days/nights to help move the season along.
I'll be sure to look up your suggestions. I don't mind trekking in to a good potential lake. No guarantees in life and, no gain without taking some risk to get you there! Personally, I prefer brookies to lakers; although, it is hard to beat a good day fishing on Big Rideau. There are no shortages of good streams and such which I can fill my boots; hopefully, not with water!
Needless to say, the Covid restrictions are wreaking havoc on small businesses for sure. Larger (corporate) hotels are empty in town so, I'm not sure how many mom-and-pop outfitters and rec. cabins will be left standing after the smoke clears. Our gang have had to cancel last spring's fishing trip because of Covid but, we left them our deposit (at least). I am happy to lend a hand anyway I can if it means it will help the little man through another season.
Cheers!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Muskrat is well frozen now and a favourite for lakers and rainbow smelt. But something is "off" this year as we have seen very few fish, i suspect that the major blue-green algae blooms this summer may have hurt the smelt populations (just guessing).

Tatty Hill Road - It is usually navigable all winter, especially if you have a 4x4. As you head further west on the road it gradually deteriorates in quality, but getting to lakes like Bellanger shouldn't be an issue (I haven't been this year so take this with a grain of salt).
FishEyes
Participant
Participant

Post by FishEyes »

scarkner wrote:Muskrat is well frozen now and a favourite for lakers and rainbow smelt. But something is "off" this year as we have seen very few fish, i suspect that the major blue-green algae blooms this summer may have hurt the smelt populations (just guessing).
The blue-green algae is the reason why I stay off Muskrat. It's too bad.
scarkner wrote:Tatty Hill Road - It is usually navigable all winter, especially if you have a 4x4. As you head further west on the road it gradually deteriorates in quality, but getting to lakes like Bellanger shouldn't be an issue (I haven't been this year so take this with a grain of salt).
Thank you for the heads up on Tatty Hill Road. I have an all-wheel drive vehicle so, I'll be happy if I can make it to the Barry Lake traihead. I certainly don't mind the walk if I make it to the parking area. I'll keep you posted on how my adventures turn out.