Spring Fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Spring Fish

Post by kevinv »

Getting geared up to get out and do some spring fishing, once the ice is cleared. been doing a lot of youtube research, but it fell really different this season.

Maybe it is just me, but with these restrictions and all, just does not feel like a normal year.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Re: Spring Fish

Post by Fordpodolski »

This is the first year I will be out on the boat on the Ottawa. I’m usually on the Rideau. The only thing I’ve noticed and felt (between spring/summer fishing and ice) is just the lack of tackle and supply. I have yet to have one encounter with police/conservation or any other person when it comes to restrictions or anything COVID. You shouldn’t have any issues. The fish don’t know there are restrictions and a worldwide pandemic going on :) (or do they..)
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

I agree...where is all the gear ? Tackle and lures ? A lot of my favourite baits seem to be sold out. On-line and bricks & mortar. I ordered a new Honda side-by-side this winter....delivery (maybe) in May. Is it high demand ? I don't see that many more people on the water...in fact, last summer my home lake was probably the least busy I've seen it in 30 years. That being said, about 25% of the cottagers are Americans, and most of the fishing camps/cottage rental operators are usually catering to US visitors.

So is it factories slowing production due to Covid ? Or are the Americans sucking up all the inventory ? I just find it strange.
The tug is the drug..
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

I think it’s a little bit of everything. Most “outdoor” sports have seen a spike as a whole. But I think it has a lot to do with shipping of materials/final products and just an overall shortage of product plus difficulties in manufacturing supplies.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Record sales of fishing licenses in 2020. Plenty of disposal income for folks that did work and couldn't vacation anywhere. Boats will be sold out for 2021 by April is the forecast. Gear is getting lapped up and production is still trying to catch up to last years orders that were never filled due to shutdown plants.

Try buying a pool, hot tub, landscape projects, home renos, atv's, kayaks, cross country skis, tents etc.....good luck.

Crazy times for some but very tough on others, but no one wants to talk about the uptick for MANY. I get it, there is a level of guilt associated with it, I feel it every day myself.

RJ