Walleye / Crotch Lake / Perth area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Balleye
Participant
Participant

Walleye / Crotch Lake / Perth area

Post by Balleye »

Hi folks. New to the are - moved here last fall. Looking to find some walleye waters. Not looking for your "hot" spot - just suggestions on good walleye waters. Having moved from the shores of Lake Erie - a FINTASTIC walleye fishery - getting the itch for a good feed without driving 7 hours back to the old haunts. Have heard/read a little about Crotch Lake - other than limited access and lots of parkland - read some about walleye but not to much information out there. I am located just outside of Perth.

Any pointers or guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers and tight lines.
Balljovi.
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Re: Walleye / Crotch Lake / Perth area

Post by reefhawg »

Welcome. I can't speak to lakes in the area but the major (larger) Walleye waters would be Ottawa and St. Lawrence (I goto Prescott) Rivers and of course, the bay of Quinte.
Cheers
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

I'm just west of Perth...there are some "good" not "great" Walleye lakes in the area. Most require some time and effort to figure things out, and the slot size makes it difficult if you want to keep a couple for dinner. Crotch is a pretty good Smallmouth lake, but the Walleye population has dwindled over the years.

In no particular order, these are some lakes that produce Walleyes in the Perth/Sharbot Lake/Westport area:

Wolfe
Bobs
Sand (in Westport)
Crow
Dalhousie
Patterson
Big Gull
Kashwakamak
Kennebec
Govan

Only one of these is regularly stocked...it would be too easy to tell you which one...so put in some screen time on Fish OnLine, and you'll feel like you've made a discovery on your own !

Feel free to PM me if you need a little assistance in getting pointed in the right direction.

Frankly, if you're looking to regularly have a "good feed" …I would focus on Crappie. They have really become more prolific in a lot of local lakes the last few years, and are displacing Walleyes in the food chain in a number of waterbodies. My favourite fish meal has become Baja Fish Tacos made with Crappies, Spicy Slaw, Pickled Onions, and Creamy Lime-Cilantro Sauce on Corn Tortillas...yum, yum, yum
The tug is the drug..
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Some good info from C L.

If you are looking for a "good feed" of walleye then the Ottawa or St. Lawrence River are you best bets, they can take some time to figure out, or drive back down to Lake Erie... lol, that it was I do.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Probably the best walleye lake in the Perth area is Mississippi Lake. But as it's been said, can't beat the Ottawa for numbers or the St. Lawrence for size. St. Lawrence opens a week earlier but is busy opening weekend.