Spring Panfish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spring Panfish

Post by Fisherman89 »

I couldn't pass up the beautiful weather this past Thursday, so I took the day off work to get out fishing. First time on the water for me since ice out!

My goal was to catch a few crappie, but for most of the day all I found were a few perch and a number of bluegills. The perch and bluegill were all caught in 2 to 8 ft of water on a 1/16 oz VMC hot skirt jig with a 2" powerbait minnow, suspended about 1.5 feet under a bobber.

I finally caught a couple crappie shortly before sunset. They came on a 1/16 oz jighead with a Mr. Crappie Joker plastic (in Electric Chicken colour).

Had the crappie for breakfast in the morning :D

Looking forward to Walleye opener next weekend!
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Spring Panfish

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Yum yum...thanks for sharing. Hope to get out this week for a feed of Crappie. With this cold front punching through, not sure where they'll be. How deep did you get them ? Are they still suspended out over deeper water, or have they moved into shallow structure ?
The tug is the drug..
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Spring Panfish

Post by Fisherman89 »

This lake isn't very deep, only about 18ft max depth. These ones were in about 8ft, but were closer to the surface, they seemed to be relating to a clump of cabbage. I could not find them during the day though, they only came out to bite around sunset.

Good luck!