Jock River water levels

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
levitch
Participant
Participant

Jock River water levels

Post by levitch »

hey all...

Is anyone near the Jock River? What are the water levels like?

With Pike season opening this Saturday I'd like to try that river out.. never fished it before

Thanks
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Re: Jock River water levels

Post by reefhawg »

I drive by a few times a week. I'd say they look normal considering the low rain and melt off this year. Nothing to prevent shore fishing and/or launching kayaks and canoes. If shore fishing, bring your rubber boots. Edges are muuuddy.
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

reefhawg wrote:I drive by a few times a week. I'd say they look normal considering the low rain and melt off this year. Nothing to prevent shore fishing and/or launching kayaks and canoes. If shore fishing, bring your rubber boots. Edges are muuuddy.
excellent thank you!

bring on the pike and walleye!
threeparrots
Participant
Participant

Post by threeparrots »

I've been planning on getting out on the Jock for some time now.. is it wadable in most areas? Some Google map research kinda looks like some parts are a little wide/deeper, so I haven't decided if it's a kayak trip or waders only!
BigHardy79
Participant
Participant

Post by BigHardy79 »

I can tell you that the section running through Richmond area is anything from 3 - 15 ft deep. Don’t know the whole river but I don’t think waders will go far ....
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

Some years ago I launched at Eagleson in Richmond, and made my way down to the Rideau.
My Sonar never saw anywhere deeper than 12 feet, didn't mark any fish either.
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

I went out on the weekend. To the eye, it looks like it would be a great river for pike/bass/etc...but I paddled my kayak for 3 hours and didn't see 1 fish on my finder. (even with the sensitivity set to MAX).

I spoke with a guy who was working his field near the bank and he said that the Jock hasn't held fish for a while. Said it wasn't healthy water for fish...to stagnant.

I don't know if any of that is true, Im just relaying what he said... but my fish finder would support his statement.

by comparison, I drove down the road to the Rideau and was catching/marking fish all over the place.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I can assure you the Jock is a healthy fishery that lots of people enjoy fishing. Walleye, Pike, Carp and even Musky are caught regularly. It is not a great Bass fishery.

Not sure what you guys expect of your "fish finders"....In 12 fow your cone is 4 to 6 feet under you at best. You'd have to pretty much glide over a fish while moving to "mark" it. I don't rely on my graphs for anything under 12 feet other than for depth. It simply is useless other than knowing depth and locating weedbeds.

RJ