Muskie outing continued

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

Markus, I am dissappointed I won't get the opportunity to meet you but I am sure I will join in another Hawk get together where I will get that opportunity.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey JP......sorry won't be able to make it :!:
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hey

Post by JP »

2 things. 1) My comments earlier were not ment to start this argument. I am also looking forward to this event and would be disapointed if people (like Marcus) didn't show up for a great day together.
2) As for Trophy muskie on the rideau, well As I respect your opinion Seaweed, I have to disagree. I have seen many fish caught there in the 50+" range and last year there was a 57" muskie caught on a bass tourney. Though there may not be a world record there, there are many muskie of good size. The last 5 years or so the Bass and muskie fishing has really improveddo to the increase in water quality in this section.
Anyway, ny 2 cents
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
John Thompson
Participant
Participant

Post by John Thompson »

Not to detract from the current conversation but I want to contribute to the BBQ. I know we'll be chipping in $5.00 or so (and do we pay before hand?) but I'll bring a case of pop as well. Is there anything else I can do? Really looking forward to this.

On another note, I met 2 guys wearing Fish Hawk hats last Sunday at the Arnprior boat ramp (Around 2:00 PM, they had fished the morning on the head pond and were launching in Arnprior) and had a great conversation and learned some valuable tips and just wanted to know who I was talking to and to thank them. I am hoping to talk with them again and get some more info (like where to get the spinner baits he was using) and also was wondering if they'll be coming to this event.

See you all on the 30th of October.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Im in for the muskie outing I gone have to borrow a rod of somebody I baught some muskie tackle this weekend and I am ready to give my 5$ for the BBQ. Hope to meet a lots of you guy.
Michael
Participant
Participant

Bon apetite Markus

Post by Michael »

Markus,

You're going to give your fellow meat hunters a bad reputation if you keep misinterpreting the regulations. The minimum size limit for muskie is 54", not 50" on thebig "O".

and, you stated....

"Although I am only planning to keep 1 muski in my entire life and I'm leagally allowed 1/trip, it is still too much for some people to accept."

You are allowed to possess one, period. The muskie steaks in your freezer count towards your bag limit. For you to legally harvest a fish every trip, you would need to completely consume each fish before you again a harvest a fish of legal size. That's a lot of muskie meat, and at no time do you want to feed an Ontario muskie of legal size to a pregnant woman or a growing child.

Do as you please, mind the mercury consumption guidelines and please take a little more time to learn the fishing regs.

Bon apetite,

Michael
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

John Thompson,

That was me that you had the little chat with at the boat launch in Arnprior that day....Carp John was with me as well....great meeting you guys that day and yes I will be at the outing on the Rideau....see ya then!

Michael,

Please go back and read the whole thread before you label someone a meat hunter....the fish was going on his wall as a trophy....not turned into steaks...

Comments like yours is what has ruined countless discussion boards.....it won't happen on this one....

RJ
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Michael..It's a good thing I respect the great nature of this board!!
Believe me I had alot more to say than what RJ did!!
Do not try to call people out on this board!!! It's not appreciated!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

I'm realy getting tired of all these coments to people who want to keep a trophy....hell I don't eat fish(except crappie)and most fish that Come into my boat ...don't get back out....my kids eat them, my grandkids eat them, all of this I'm holy than you bull has got to stop....IF IT IS A LEGAL FISH, THE ANGLER CAN KEEP IT.....TO DO WANT HE WANTS...EAT IT , MOUNT IT..WHAT EVER lets drop all of this ...and get back to fishing , we all have said our piece.(over and over)..lets move on
Last edited by big-o on Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Participant
Participant

Post by Michael »

Bacon and Rj,

Wow, you guys are sure quick on the trigger.

I sure wasn't trying to call anyone out on this board. The words "meat hunter" were quoted from Markus' own reference to himself in this same thread:

"This should be a day to promote the religon of muski fishing and having a meat fisherman show up at the dock will ruin it. I am really not bothered by any of this.....don't go to a country bar if you want to rock and roll."

I don't think he meant the term in a pejorative sense - neither did I. Maybe I should have used quotes and smiley face to make this a little clearer.

At any rate I apologize for not choosing my words a little better. Markus, sorry if I offended you. Bacon, RJ and others, sorry for riling you up.

Good fishing,

Michael
(frequent consumer and sometimes hunter of fish and game meat).
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Thanks for clearing that up Michael... :)

We love this board and take it personally when people start crap that goes on at others boards...

thanks again....

RJ (calling off the dogs).. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Ditto to what RJ said....
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Bon apetite Markus

Post by Markus »

:lol: :lol: Micheal, your post went over my head, but I'll respond anyway.
Michael wrote:Markus,

You're going to give your fellow meat hunters a bad reputation if you keep misinterpreting the regulations. The minimum size limit for muskie is 54", not 50" on thebig "O".
I surfed back through the thread...and I don't see where I quoted the size limit of 50". This outing is on the Rideau, not the "O"..and I'm not sure, but I think a 50" is a legal keeper there...and yes, that is one I'd keep.
and, you stated....

"Although I am only planning to keep 1 muski in my entire life and I'm leagally allowed 1/trip, it is still too much for some people to accept."

You are allowed to possess one, period. The muskie steaks in your freezer count towards your bag limit. For you to legally harvest a fish every trip, you would need to completely consume each fish before you again a harvest a fish of legal size. That's a lot of muskie meat, and at no time do you want to feed an Ontario muskie of legal size to a pregnant woman or a growing child.
Never said I wanted to eat one. I'm actually looking for a skin mount. If I was to kill one accidently though, I'd eat it rather than waste it. You are also permittted to give your meat away, consume it...and having 4 licences in my house helps, so trust me...if I wished to keep a muski every trip..I could. But as stated, I only have the desire to keep one fish in my lifetime.
Do as you please, mind the mercury consumption guidelines
I just briefly checked the Ontario Guide to eating sportfish...didn't see any mercury warnings for Rideau muski. I'll have to look further though, I'm not familar with the consumption restictions for muski because I've never had an intention to eat one.
and please take a little more time to learn the fishing regs.
Whenever I frequent a new area, I always review and freshen up on the regs for that area. I'd ask that you read peoples comments more carefully and not jump to false accusations.

Good luck on the water this fall Micheal. There's lots of big muski's to enjoy catching. Good luck and I hope you land a trophy this fall as well. :wink:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Don't worry pal...no offense taken. :wink:

Good Fishing.

Markus
Meat Fisherman Extraordinaire! :P
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Sorry

Post by JP »

I am sorry that I started this whole debate.
And again, as RJ said and I agree with, It is within an anglers rights to keep fish as long as they follow the regs.
I hate to think that my comments would stop anyone from coming.

As for the BBQ, well I can bring one. As for the food, not many people were interested in me supplying it so everyone can pot luck if that's easier.
See u on the water.
JP
Last edited by JP on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!