Summer = Salmon!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Summer = Salmon!!!

Post by JimW »

Well I hit Lake O on June 29th for a little salmon fishing.... my buddy and I left my house at 1 am picked up our 3rd guy along the way and made it to the boat launch is decent time. I played captain, first mate and bait boy on the boat today... so I did not fight any fish. Fished the morning landing a mixed bag of kings, coho and rainbow and had lots of fish hit but did not get hooked.

Our plan was to fish the morning and back to shore for a few hours and have lunch and a nap... on the way back to the marina we got caught in a big thunderstorm... totally soaked.... sat in the truck until it stopped.... checked the weather forecast chance of thunderstorms all afternoon and evening so once we got a break from the rain, we decided to pack up the boat and head home. Accident on the 401, closing the highway, 5 minutes into our trip home... our 3.5 hour trip turned into 6.5 hours.

Well I had not been fishing on Lake Ontario since Tuesday....

so 1:30 am on Thursday morning I hit the road.... met up with my fishing partners for the day, 2 new partners joining me on the Tracker that day, one a salmon rookie. Arrived at the busy launch set the boat up and off we went. Started setting out our 6 rod spread... the first rod fires as I am setting out rod number 3.... fish on!!! First King visited the boat... off to a decent start. Finished getting our 6 rods out and we were fully down to busy, took a bit of time to get everything set up as I was acting as captain and first mate and baitboy. lol

It did not take too long to get into some more fish and we had a decent morning catching and losing some decent kings and bonus rainbow. No huge fish... our biggest of the day was lost 20 feet behind the boat... I need a longer net. lol.

Most of our salmon come off of Kate's Kustoms Twinkie rigs with Dreamweaver spin doctors and Hotfish lures flashers. The rainbows have been liking Hotfish spoons with Liquid Mayhem sardine scent for extra flavour. We took fish on the 5 and 10 colour leadcore lines, downriggers and wire dipsey rods, but the dipsey rods got most of the action.

We got 3 of these today... one salmon had two lamprey on it. :(

All in all a good morning on the water, great seeing a rookie catch his first salmon, even if it was not 30 pounds. Busy on the water, heard decent reports most people getting into some fish.

Hopefully I make it back out for salmon at least once or twice more this summer. :)
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing