Monday, July 5th Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Monday, July 5th Report

Post by JimW »

Well after a tough day on Sunday in a bass tournament I was looking for redemption...

So Sunday evening after the bass tournament I unloaded the bass fishing gear and loaded up the boat for salmon fishing, retied a few leader, had a 1 hour nap and I was off at 1:30 am Monday morning.

Picked up my fishing partners for the day Matt and Don near Kingston we were off to do battle on Lady O.

Launched the boat shortly after 5 am and headed out of the marina.... my heart skipped a beat as we were cruising through the marina and one of my partners started eating a banana!!!! Luckily I have by bypass surgery back in 2020 or I would have had a heart attach.

After a few mile run in a little bit of a chop and an East wind, we set up our 6 rod spread and it did not take too long to put our first first in the boat... a nice chinook salmon on a Hotfish lures spoon with Liquid Mayhem sardine scent on the 5 colour leadcore rod.

We continue the morning catching some fish, losing some fish and having a good time.... the bite was a bit slow, but we managed a decent haul of a mix of chinook salmon and rainbow trout.

At one point the downrigger line takes a good hit and after coming tight on the fish my buddy Don was in for a good battle... after a decent fight and tangling in one of our leadcore and dipsey lines Matt slides the net under a quality fish. A quick weight on my digital scale and we decided this fish was heading to the Silver Salmon Challenge scales.

We pulled our lines around 11 am and headed for the marina, after putting the boat on the trailer and a quick visit at the boat launch with a good friend... we headed over to the scales at Port Whitby Marine Supplies.

27.66 pounds!!! Not too bad.... at the end of the day that would put the fish in 10th place on the weekly leader board, The fish got bumped off the leader board on Tuesday, but it is fun seeing the fish up there even if only for a day.... helps drive the urge to chase the kings even more!!!

All in all a great morning on the water... we caught fish on a mix of spoons, spin doctor fly combos and Hotfish flashers with Twinkie rigs and homemade herring strips. The Okuma Convector high speed reels were awesome for catching up to fast swimming fish off the downriggers.

Now I just need to retie a few lures and plan my next outing.... still chasing the 30 pounder.

Feeling great and havin' fun!!!!
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing